Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey W116 Guys, I need some help.

I'm trying to figure out what 116 models came with what differential ratios and whether they were Limited-Slip or not. I have EPC, but it does not always show which ones were LSD. The only one it does show with LSD is the 2.65 in the 6.9

I have found a 3.07 LSD that came out of a 1973 450SE, although it's possible it was swapped into that car at a later date. EPC shows the 450SE with a 3.06 so not much of a difference but seems strange its not the same #.

Anybody know what W116's came with the 3.07 LSD?? I cant find any other models listed with it.

Here's some pictures of the one in question. My end goal is to put it in my 500SEC.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its a strange one. thanks for the response.

I'm assuming there weren't any other ones standard and depending on what the car was ordered with is what made it a limited slip or not.

New question, do you think the S.P. stamping means anything?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The SP may have indicated a rebuild. Perhaps a specific company?

Does limited slip translate into German anything close to those acryonym letters?

·
Registered
173 Posts
from Nitske's book on MB production models 1946-1990

280sel 73-80 ~~~~ 3.69

300sd 77-80 ~~~~ 3.07

450se 72-80 ~~~~ 3.07

450sel 6.9 75-80 ~~~~ 2.65

450sel 72-80 ~~~~ 3.07, us 1979 ~~~ 3.06, 1980 ~~~ 2.65

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
1982-1985 euro spec w126 500sel had a 3.27lsd,can find it listed in any books,but have seen 4 such cars when I had my shop in SoCal,,won't be an easy find but they are out there

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey W116 Guys, I need some help.

I'm trying to figure out what 116 models came with what differential ratios and whether they were Limited-Slip or not. I have EPC, but it does not always show which ones were LSD. The only one it does show with LSD is the 2.65 in the 6.9

I have found a 3.07 LSD that came out of a 1973 450SE, although it's possible it was swapped into that car at a later date. EPC shows the 450SE with a 3.06 so not much of a difference but seems strange its not the same #.

Anybody know what W116's came with the 3.07 LSD?? I cant find any other models listed with it.

Here's some pictures of the one in question. My end goal is to put it in my 500SEC.
That is probably a back end from a 450SLC,which is exactly the same rear end as a W114 and W116. . The LSD or Sperrdifferential (S.P ) was a commonly ordered option in Europe in all models . The crown wheel and pinion with it's LSD carrier will fit into your W126 diff case. If you have ABS you will need to go this route. The only real difference other wise is that a lot of USA delivered cars were really strange in that they did not have a rear torsion bar and or the anti dive links.
Depending o n what model 500 you have,it would probably be easier to wire the trans ECU to give you first gear starts,rather than lose top speed ,economy and general smoothness . Lower ratio diffs are for Chevs.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That is probably a back end from a 450SLC,which is exactly the same rear end as a W114 and W116. . The LSD or Sperrdifferential (S.P ) was a commonly ordered option in Europe in all models . The crown wheel and pinion with it's LSD carrier will fit into your W126 diff case. If you have ABS you will need to go this route. The only real difference other wise is that a lot of USA delivered cars were really strange in that they did not have a rear torsion bar and or the anti dive links.
Depending o n what model 500 you have,it would probably be easier to wire the trans ECU to give you first gear starts,rather than lose top speed ,economy and general smoothness . Lower ratio diffs are for Chevs.
I was under the impression this is the same diff housing as whats in my car (1983) and is a direct bolt in with maybe some changes to the axles. My car does have ABS and SLS, but I will probably be ditching both, especially the ABS if I put this diff in. It does also have the first gear start option.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the diff is here, I will know for sure soon if its going to fit or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts