Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just recently purchased a W114 with a 220D engine on it (swapped) used to be a 250.

Turns out the car has the early steering wheel, early vent windows and, early trunk handle.

but....

It has the newer ribbed tail lenses, and the wide grille.

My question is can I swap an early hood w/ grille to this car withouth replacing any other panels?

I'm not even sure if it's a late or an early model and I'm starting the restoration process.

Pic attached.

Vin: 11401112004817 (By the way its US spec but transformed to Euro Style)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I have no idea if it would fit but I suspect not because the grill fits over a hole that should be the same size. There are two rubber stoppers towards the bottom of the grill one on each side. These land on the body when you close the hood and stop the hood from bouncing against the body.
Look carefully at these, do they hit right at the lip? Then this is the correct grill and a different size one would not cover the hole for the radiator.

I think the steering wheel may have been switched because the rubber / vinyl degrades over time and can fall off in big chunks and new ones are 6-700 while the old style are cheaper and the steering wheels are interchangeable. Everything else (except the engine) sounds stock(ish) '74-75 came with fly windows and small ribbed tail lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's interesting the car definitively had the bumpers changed but I like the look of this euro style ones. The front bumper has the perfect cut out for the grille.

I was talking to a Merc tech and it looks like the grille and tail lamps are correct but the steering wheel and doors with vent windows don't look correct for the model year.

It's a shame the 250 engine is not there anymore but the 220D will make for a good dependable daily driver.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
A couple of comments and notes:

According to wikipedia Mercedes-Benz W114 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The W114 received a facelift in 1973 - with a lower bonnet-line, lower and broader grill, a single front bumper to replace the double bumpers, lower placement of the headlamps, A-pillar treatment for keeping the side windows clear, removal of the quarter-windows in the front doors, ribbed tail lights to minimize occlusion of the tail lights with road dirt, and larger side mirrors. The interior received inertia reel belts and a new padded steering wheel with a four-hole design."

My assumption is that an early hood and a late hood are not interchangeable.

I don't think there is a connection to the early vs. late bumpers with respect to the body. I think this was a US-only change and doesn't matter.

I don't know if early tail lights and late tail lights can be swapped.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well seems like a I have a Chimera of some sort haha. Specially because of the doors and mirrors.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,768 Posts
Kpeters:

What's your location? ("fill out your profile")

I just picked up a 1971 250 and I don't want to waste my time on it. I'm considering trying to make it run better today, but have a pile of other stuff to attend to. Today my gut says, "dump the whole car". Any interest in a car in the Philadelphia area?

It doesn't look bad, so having this parked outside is no eyesore. Great to have a parts car!

Philadelphia area.

Edit:
I got the car running, and decided not to part it out (yet).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there I'm quite far away! In Costa Rica.

BTW can you tell if I have an early or late grille or have any measurements? I'm going crazy need to buy one of off ebay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
To me, that looks like the early grill. Opening the hood on my '72 and measuring the backside straight across at midpoint I got about 26.5 inches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so has anyone been able to successfully interchange the pre-facelift narrow grille with the post-facelift wider grille without changing other parts like the hood or fender?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
Kpeters
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing