Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm trying to replace the ignition barrel in my 76' Merc 230.
I've pulled out the dash/instrument cluster, and undone that bolt holding the steering lock into place, but I can't get the whole system (barrel and steering lock) out . It's loose and had some play now that bolt is gone, but it won't come out ??? Is there anything else holding it into place ??
Thanx

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
There is a black plastic sleeve/cover around the front of the assembly that needs to come off. You have to get it to come toward the back of the car, it can require a bit of "enthusiasm' to get off. It doesn't screw, it has ridges on the inside of it that fit into a groove around the steering lock assembly. Then there is a rectangular part you have to push inward on, the the core will come out by pulling on the key. The key has to be in the lock, and it has to be in position I.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Scott.
But I have no keys :/ and the previous owner have drilled the [email protected]#k out of the barrel, the things destroyed. But still won't come off :/

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
You might be in trouble. Doing it right requires that you have the key. You might need to get a replacement steering wheel lock assembly and a new lock core. Depending on how much you want to invest, you can get those from the M-B Classic Center, with a core that matches the original one for the car. You would have to provide proof of ownership, of course.

Getting that assembly out of the car is specific to the body style, so I can't help you there, but it's GOT to be easier than on a 107.;)

You might be able to source the required parts from a pull-a-part, or someone parting out a car. IF you get a subscription ot the EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog: free for US residents, credit card required to verify residence but not charged) you can find out what other vehicles would have the same part.

EPC-net Online

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I've figured it out thanx scott.
I have a old friend with a workshop that's like Merc heaven, he has the new barrel and steering lock I need, so I looked at it closely and found a little pin that needs to be released on the shaft of the steering lock. And ur right Scott, I do need a key, howeva I'm gunna give drilling that pin out to release the barrel n steering lock assembly, seeing as the previous owners lost they keys and destroyed the barrel for me :/

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Maybe they didn't know that they could get new keys through the Classic Center or the dealership. Wait a few days and spend a few bucks, or destroy the lock assembly and pay a WHOLE lot more to replace the whle assembly. You just have to ask yourself that question.

Good luck on getting your rig back on the road,
Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can get a complete barrel n steering lock with keys for around $20 from a friend with a Merc wrecker, I'll just have a bit of fun and destroy it I think ;)
Thanx mate. It's slowly gettin there :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts