Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78/82 300D
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today my friend checked his coolant, and their is oil in the water :crybaby2: So we know the head gasket is on its way out. Other then that the car is running pretty good. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of someone in the SF Bayarea that would be able or should I say willing to redo the head gasket? We were thinking of also having the head rebuilt and new time chain...Since it has to come off as well. I've heard that the engine overhauls aren't cheap...but never an exact quote...he and I love the style of the w115 and its pretty much rust free so we hate to send it to the smasher....

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,036 Posts
You can leave the Timing Chain Connected and remove the Cylinder Head. There is a proceedure in the Manual for the.
This is not a guide to doing it but it involves lining the Engine up on the Timing marks and wiering down the Timing Chain to the Camshaft Drive gear before you pull the Gear off. With the Gear off the Camshaft the Head can be pulled off.

Non-turbo Pistons are not as expensive but still not really cheap.
It is not really an Engine overhaul but if you tear down the Engine and the Pistons are still within spec the new Liners are not so expensive.

Someone needs to remove them and the Installation is more touchy that removal. After that I believe they need to be bored and honed to match your Pistons.
There is some parts like the pair of parts that drive the Fuel Injection Pump Timer and the Oil Pump. (The Intermediate Shaft is one part of the set.) that is over $400 to replace with a new one.

There is also a bunch of changes concerning those particular parts that might not make it easy to find a good used Set (they are a matched set).

I Know that on the Turboed 300Ds the Exhaust Valves are expensive; not so sure on the 240D.

·
Registered
5 Speed "85" Euro TD , 5 speed "85" Euro 240D, "79" 5 spd 240D, 5 spd "94" Dodge/Cummins PU
664 Posts
The 240D valves are not sodium filled so are pretty cheap. It would be a crime to send a rust free 115 to the crusher just because she needs an engine. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
78/82 300D
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 240D valves are not sodium filled so are pretty cheap. It would be a crime to send a rust free 115 to the crusher just because she needs an engine. :crybaby2:
I know, we put a lot into her too. Just put a new muffler on it last week, just pulled the correct seat belts at pnp too. We went to do a coolant flush and it was just black as oil...so we knew...

Tomorrow, we are going to replace it with a w123 240D. Haven't decided if we just want to sell it, or non op it and hope for a replacement engine to show up somewhere. We already replaced the engine once.

If anyone is looking for nice w115, shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out...or if your close and have an engine...shoot me another pm

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1602964-got-new-240d-w-issues.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are still interested, I have a perfect running motor in need of some tlc. Busted my baby in an accident(so sad, I even cried). Has roughly 300 000km on her heart, was a 4 speed manual. Only front end damage. Lost the radiator and one fan blade as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts