Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove to diner last night, then the car started making this nasty scratch sound:

Had the car towed to my mechanics - rear left wheel bearing failure. What could have been the cause?

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Bearings don't last forever, this will eventually happen to any bearing if it's not replaced periodically. They should replaced at the first sign of noise, or when they don't spin smoothly in your hand. A bearing that has play, or a "notchy" or rough feeling when spun by hand is already dead.
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/1233500068

I haven't been a regular on the forums recently, like I was a few years back, and it is really nice to see AutohausAZ monitoring the forums and offering assistance when possible. I have had excellent service from them over the years and this is another example of why they are a class act as a vendor.
No, my brother in law doesn't work there. 😁

·
Registered
965 Posts
Huh! A forty five year old bearing failed? I'd take the car back to the dealer and complain!:D

I'm beginning to wonder about that car Patryk. All the rust damage you've run across has been on the left hand side (Firewall, Boot deck, lower quarter panel, etc.). Might just be coincidence but it still seems odd.

Yeah, wheel bearings do go bad and that is probably all it is, a coincidence. I'd give the rear suspension a good "look-see" for rust or possible collision damage while you have the car apart.

·
Registered
138 Posts
- rear left wheel bearing failure. What could have been the cause?

Possibly the wheel suffered an impact at some time in its history, thus affecting the bearing. (As Mike hinted at.)

Rear wheel bearings don't fail under normal usage. Well, perhaps after multiple 100,000 miles...

Front wheel bearings do need to be re-greased every 100K miles or thereabouts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the suggestions. My mechanic said the failure happened probably simply due to old age but didn't exclude impact-caused failure as a possibility.
Between tow, labor and parts - quite expensive fix...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
patrykrebisz
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing