Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a W114. I'm going to look at one tomorrow.

What are the main things to look out for in these cars? Primary areas of rust starting, deal-breakers etc.

I'm looking at doing a 'low-rider' type feel with the car. I've built all sorts of cars, fast, offroad, track etc, and am interested in doing a classic restoration, but with a twist. More like a show car.

So, yes, i'll be looking for all the correct chrome trim, making sure the body is straight etc. Interior although I want to keep the original shape, i'll probably go with a complete re-apolster in some modern materials.

Engine is a 280, probably will ditch that in favour of the 560 V8 i have in the garage, but not straight away. The V8 will take some doing to get it in there no doubt...

Suspension, will do the bags number, just wondering whats involved with regards to getting it on the floor. Geometry looks pretty easy at a first glance to get the bags in, but what restrictions will there be in really laying it low? Is there much fabrication work to do?

Rims will stick with the stock steelies, widened. Body will be stock, but with a 2 tone paint job.

All input welcome!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bought the car

I bought the above mentioned vehicle...

Here's some pics.

Original Chassis plates, stamped vin number matches plate.

Chrome trim and rubber still in near perfect condition!

That cast iron 2.8l Straight 6.

Did I mention it came with a boot full of spares? Extra chrome bits, Full set of lights front and rear, Hubcaps ...

Passenger Door taken a bit of a knock, may replace with a new one, or see if paintless dent removal will work.

And the interior ... grubby but in good nic.

OEM? I think not.

Something no so straight here ...

Only issue with it is that the reverse gear doesn't want to engage when it's cold. Also cold starting is a bit of an issue, but gets there eventually.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After having driven the car for a week, i've found some problems which i'd like to get sorted out quite quickly.

All the suspension rubbers are shot. Even the sub-frame mounts are practically non existant. The local Benz dealership can't get these parts without a whole new subframe, or lower control arms etc, they sell only complete setups, not individual parts. Is there somewhere I can look for these, or am I going to my local moulding guru and having new parts made up?

There's a lever on the left side of the engine (standing at the front of the car looking back at it.) It's connected to something below the firewall on one side, but has no connection on the other. It seems as tho it somehow needs to connect to the throttle body on the carb, as there's a spare connection point there which looks like it matchs, and the movement direction seems appropriate. This would mean running a bar/line across the top of the head. What is this for? I can't even seem to find pictures of anything similar.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
All the suspension rubbers are shot. Even the sub-frame mounts are practically non existant. The local Benz dealership can't get these parts without a whole new subframe, or lower control arms etc, they sell only complete setups, not individual parts. Is there somewhere I can look for these, or am I going to my local moulding guru and having new parts made up?
If our man Germanstar can't help you, then yes, see if someone can make some for you.

Kibim said:
There's a lever on the left side of the engine (standing at the front of the car looking back at it.) It's connected to something below the firewall on one side, but has no connection on the other. It seems as tho it somehow needs to connect to the throttle body on the carb, as there's a spare connection point there which looks like it matchs, and the movement direction seems appropriate. This would mean running a bar/line across the top of the head. What is this for? I can't even seem to find pictures of anything similar.
Choke, maybe?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Call the Classic Center in Germany (or Irvine, CA) if the local dealer won't order those parts for you.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The missing bar/lever is from the transmission linkage to the throttle linkage. There is a bell crank behind the carb where the end attaches. It's probably in the trunk. It is a flat lever with the two ends. One or both ends should have a "slide" with a locking bolt. The correct adjustment is when the linkages are at rest it should be a "press to fit". No tension on either end.

This is for the transmission shift points control. The vacuum modulator controls the "harshness" of the shifts and this rod controls the shifting. I'm sure you have noticed the transmission shifts without it but it is designed to work in cooperation with the accelerator linkage to provide smoother shifting.

The transmission linkage end showing the sliding adjustment.

1.JPG

The carb side showing the bell crank pivot on the throttle linkage.

21.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts