Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Mercedes-Benz 280C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 1975 280C with ~75K on it (I'm the 3rd owner) from my brother-in-law (the 2nd owner). I'm new to the MB world!

It's running rough, so I was going to start with all the basics and order plugs, wires, filters, etc. since he didn't change most of those things.

I have a set of Bosch WR 8 DC+ spark plugs and a new set of Bosch plug wires with connectors/boots with what was claimed to be "Push-0n SAE Connectors". Well how in the world do these wires push on those plugs??

I tried (not on the car, straight out of the box) to push a plug into the seat and couldn't get it in. Should it require significantly more force than a typical newer car? I was pretty darn firm about it, having changed spark plugs on plenty of other cars-- but I've also never seen this large metal connector/boot thing either.

I even searched everywhere I could to see if this naive question had been asked before, so now I just get to be embarrassed instead. Am I missing a screw-in connector piece? Should I just push harder? I already order the 'special' tool to remove the connectors.

More questions to follow, I'm sure,
Dan
:confused:

Attachments

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,464 Posts
The little metal cap on the end of the spark plug unscrews. Remove it, then try again. BTW, welcome to BenzWorld! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1975 Mercedes-Benz 280C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had no idea that end could come off! Damn, I'm foolish. Works fine now. Thanks for the welcome.

GermanStar said:
The little metal cap on the end of the spark plug unscrews. Remove it, then try again. BTW, welcome to BenzWorld! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1973 280c
18 Posts
I got the same car and the same problem with the plugs. Installed one of the plugs with that cap on it without thinking about it. Had to take it off again to remove the little cap. Hehe whoops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts