Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, so I think I have to come to the realization that I have lost the keys to my 73 280C. The doors are unlocked so I can get into the car but do not know what to do from there, can anyone offer any advice?

It is my understanding the ignition tumbler can be removed and replaced? but I need the key to turn it to position #1. I have seen that in some models, there is a simple pins tool that can remove the cylinder, but am not sure if that works on this vintage model.

Basically any help I can get would be appreciated, I hate having this car simply sit in the garage, it has already been at least 3-4 months and I have no idea where else I can look.

Thanks before hand!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi, I hate when that happens...!

If you can prove ownership and if you currently have a data card for the car the Classic Center can make you a new set of keys....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I hate when that happens...!

If you can prove ownership and if you currently have a data card for the car the Classic Center can make you a new set of keys....
Can you tell me a little more information on this. I can get or should have most of that stuff as its my car but how would I go about having someone cut me a new set?

·
Registered
437 Posts
On the data card for your car there will be key codes which the Classic Center can use to make duplicates of your missing keys....
If you do have the data card then you are in luck...If you don't then you can request one from the CC but there is a new fee attached to this request which will add to your costs and it may take a week or two to get the data card..In either instance contact the CC 866-622-5277

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you much, I will try this out.
Would also be interested in any other ideas, the car is a few decades old now so in the case that some previous own has replaced any of the key cylinders...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Actually all you have to do is prove ownership and take all of the proof to a local MB dealer and they can get you a key. May be easier.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Here's how this works for ANY Mercedes vehicle:

1.) Take the following items to any Mercedes dealer:

Proof of ownership - registration, title, whatever. It needs to have your name, address and the vehicle's VIN

Proof of identity - state or Federal issued photo ID. Driver's license is a good example. Should have your full name and address that corresponds to the address on the vehicle title.

Money.

2.) Present said items to the parts department employee and request a replacement key or keys. Understand that for older cars, the keys for the ignition, doors and trunk are all different, so you need to specify which one(s) you want and how many of each. You will be asked to sign a form attesting to the validity of the information you're providing for identification.

3.) Parts person will enter an order in Paragon, collect your money, and give you a receipt. In approximately 3-4 business days the dealer will have your new keys. Be sure to check them for proper operation as soon as possible, and report back to the dealer if they don't work or appear to be incorrect.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
... the car is a few decades old now so in the case that some previous own has replaced any of the key cylinders...
This would have originally been a single-key car, meaning that one key would work in all of the locks including ignition. Do you remember having multiple keys? The dealer / MB will only have access to the original key and you will be out of luck on anything that has been replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did have 3-4 keys but if I remember correctly I do believe all the keys were the same and one key did open all the locks.

Well this is great news, I will assemble the stuff and report to the nearest MB parts department and hopefully have keys before the weather turns!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's how this works for ANY Mercedes vehicle:...

3.)... Be sure to check them for proper operation as soon as possible, and report back to the dealer if they don't work or appear to be incorrect.
shouldn't the car be present when the keys are handed over? So the dealer would already check the proper operation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just went to the part department of the local dealer and they did mention that normally the car would have to be present when keys were handed over but because it is a vintage car they said it was not necessary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts