Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
W108 280se // W111 250se // W123 230se // W111 220s //
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day. I've tried to clean my taillights as best i could and the chrome around the bezel is completely gone, the car was standing in a barn for 30 years so its expected. I've tried sanding down the oxidation but it doesn't seem to want to come out.

I was wondering if its made from stainless steel so i could just give it a mirror finish because the plastic light covers are glued into the bezel. Somebody please give me advice ill post some photos as well. Thanks all (y)

Photo doesn't do it justice, but it looks bad all round
IMG-20200915-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20200915-WA0011.jpg

·
Registered
1964 MERCEDES BENZ 220S chassis 111.012
44 Posts
Hello Angelo,
I believe the frame is made of steel and chrome does not last forever. You could use # 0000 very fine steel wool with your chosen cleaner to fine tune the steel to give it as close to a mirror finish that you want. There are tail lamps or frames with lens sold on EBAY if you want to spend some money to make it as beautiful as possible.

You know , you want to keep up your image: you are driving a vintage high quality German Mercedes that was built well and to last a LONG time if tender loving care is used. And people will be looking at the headlamps and tail lamps a lot as they drive.

·
Registered
W108 280se // W111 250se // W123 230se // W111 220s //
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Angelo,
I believe the frame is made of steel and chrome does not last forever. You could use # 0000 very fine steel wool with your chosen cleaner to fine tune the steel to give it as close to a mirror finish that you want. There are tail lamps or frames with lens sold on EBAY if you want to spend some money to make it as beautiful as possible.

You know , you want to keep up your image: you are driving a vintage high quality German Mercedes that was built well and to last a LONG time if tender loving care is used. And people will be looking at the headlamps and tail lamps a lot as they drive.
Thats very true, i've made a plan to polish it out with some burnishing compound hopefully it works as well as i expect it to
The amount of presence these cars bring is unmatched, its really a piece of history

1 - 3 of 3 Posts