Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
There's a line on the front flange of the IP. In front of it will be a drive collar with a number of small teeth on it. One of those teeth is missing and you will need to line up the missing tooth with the line on the front flange. Time your engine to TDC and then slide the pump into place.

·
Registered
1979 Mercedes 450SLC , 1962 Mercedes 220SE , 1982 Mercedes 280SEL , 1982 Mercedes 300D
16 Posts
Hi guys . I'm unable to cut down the fuel flow in my 1962 220SE . I've been trying to get her to idle but she starts and cuts off within 10 seconds . I removed the plugs and found that they were black and also wet with fuel . Turning the screw at the rear of the pump has made no difference . Any suggestions as to how I can cut down the fuel ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Two things to look for: Leaking cold start valve or your warm running device is stuck in the cold position. You will need a fresh set of spark plugs and a good working ignition system first. Remove any carbon core wires or resistors from your wires except 1K ohm at the spark plug ends. I use NGK BP5ES plugs.

If your cold engine starts but is running rich, as in eye burning rich, shut it off right away. Odds are the cold start valve is leaking. You can test this by removing the small 7 mm grub screw just below the solenoid. Turn your key to the run position which should make your fuel pump run. If more than 3 drops in 60 seconds drips out it's leaking. They can be taken apart and by carefully spinning the needle valve on the seat cleaned enough that they stop leaking.

A stuck air valve on the injection pump is step two but that involves a bit more work. I would go to the Pagoda club web site for fuel injection info.

·
Registered
1979 Mercedes 450SLC , 1962 Mercedes 220SE , 1982 Mercedes 280SEL , 1982 Mercedes 300D
16 Posts
Two things to look for: Leaking cold start valve or your warm running device is stuck in the cold position. You will need a fresh set of spark plugs and a good working ignition system first. Remove any carbon core wires or resistors from your wires except 1K ohm at the spark plug ends. I use NGK BP5ES plugs.

If your cold engine starts but is running rich, as in eye burning rich, shut it off right away. Odds are the cold start valve is leaking. You can test this by removing the small 7 mm grub screw just below the solenoid. Turn your key to the run position which should make your fuel pump run. If more than 3 drops in 60 seconds drips out it's leaking. They can be taken apart and by carefully spinning the needle valve on the seat cleaned enough that they stop leaking.

A stuck air valve on the injection pump is step two but that involves a bit more work. I would go to the Pagoda club web site for fuel injection info.
Thank you for the advice . My warm running magnet was stuck . I disconnected the wires from it and the car is now idling well . I've got to set her now to the correct idle and figure out why the magnet is stuck . Thanks again .

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen that problem although that would certainly make it run very rich. Take it off and apply voltage to it. If it moves properly then it's not the solenoid and may be the relay that activates it. Just a guess.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts