Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon '99 CLK430, 62 220se, 64 220se, 65 220se, 66250se, 85 380sl, 90 190E 2.6
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crybaby2:
1962 220se just installed the engine and all excited to hear it run for the first time, nothing... I sprayed starter fluid and it will, but would not with regular fuel sys, I check everything from tank to fuel pump,
lines to the filter from filter to the injector pump, lines to injectoes... but the two nipples at the injector, only one is putting out and its slowly flowing out even when cranking the engine. How screwed am I?

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon '99 CLK430, 62 220se, 64 220se, 65 220se, 66250se, 85 380sl, 90 190E 2.6
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind... I fixed it, That injection pump is one complex string.

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
OK, please enlighten me. What did you do to fix it. I also have a 220SEb 4dr.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, please enlighten me. What did you do to fix it. I also have a 220SEb 4dr.
First thing first, There is a scew with a spring at the bottom of the pump on the firewall side DO NOT ADJUST!! Unless you'vr already done so. I have on one of my pumps and could get it to start up again... second check the timing.

Rotate the motor to 20 degrees ATDC, leave it.
Go to the injector pump, the side that attatches to the engine, there is a notch on the splined gear, remove the splined gear ring to see the notch on the inner gear.
Try to rotate the pump clockwise until the mark is at the aproximate 2o'clock position, reatatch to enging (it does not have to be in perfect time to run) Congratulations! you've just set the timing of your injection pump..

.Start the thing! If nothing happenes make sure thr fuel filter bowl is primed (full with fuel).
.Take a jumper wire go from the psitive side of the cold start solinoid to the + terminal of the batt, start the car while the solinoid is engaged, it should do something... let me know what happens.
There are lots and lot more trouble shooting and testing that need be done like the linkages the throttle body butterfly position, the injection pump thermostat and so on.......

try those first few steps and come back abd see me. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1979 Mercedes 450SLC , 1962 Mercedes 220SE , 1982 Mercedes 280SEL , 1982 Mercedes 300D
14 Posts
Hi . I've just rebuilt the engine on my 1962 Mercedes 220SE and had my 2 plunger pump rebuilt at Jerry Fairchild Industries . The car was starting briefly for a few seconds ( I guess because of the fuel from cold start ) . But now there is no fuel coming out from the injection pump . I've checked the cam , it's free . The plungers are also moving freely . I removed the valve on top of the plungers and cranked the engine .. fuel spurted out from the pipe , but as soon as I installed the valve and the spring above .. fuel stopped coming out . Almost as if there is not enough pressure for the fuel to lift the valve and come out . What should I be checking now ?

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,028 Posts
I would rule out a few things, like not enough gas. Is your electric fuel pump the correct one and working properly? You should hear fuel circulate when the car is in the "on" position but not running. Second thing is the cold start valve should have pressure from the fuel pump - you can remove the line from the cold start valve and verify that when car is "on" fuel is pouring out of that line. If it's not, then you have a fuel starvation issue not related to the injection pump.

·
Registered
1979 Mercedes 450SLC , 1962 Mercedes 220SE , 1982 Mercedes 280SEL , 1982 Mercedes 300D
14 Posts
Hi . Electric pump is working fine . There is fuel in the cold start injector line , in fact the car starts up momentarily with the fuel from cold start . There is fuel in return line as well . Both the fuel pressure regulators are working

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,028 Posts
Darn. Then I defer to others who are smarter than I am!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Timing a 2 element IP to 20 degrees ADTC is wrong. The 2 element pump should be set to TDC - 20 ATDC is for later 6 element pumps used on 111, 113, 108 and some 109 cars.

You need at least 10 PSI fuel pressure to make this system work. The IP won't show much fuel coming out at idle and is not a reliable way to tell if the IP is working. If your cold start valve isn't working right you will never get it to start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you Benz Dr . My timing is at TDC . But I've not checked the fuel pressure . Will do that . Cold start valve is working . But when I crank car with the fuel lines disconnected at the IP , there is no fuel coming out .

·
Registered
56 Posts
It can take a while to purge all of the air out of injection lines so what you can do is run a cable from your battery to the cold start solenoid. You can activate the cold start valve by touching the solenoid enough to spray fuel into the intake manifold and keep your engine running. Don't touch the solenoid too much or too long or you can flood your engine.

This injection system may look simple but making it work can be more difficult than the later 6 element pumps. I check the fuel injectors and the distribution blocks for uniform and even flow. If you have one weak or bad injector the whole bank will be affected and you will never get a good idle. Each set of 3 injectors needs to be within 7 PSI of each other and if one of them is weak the fuel tends to piss out of that bad injector. This is a very sensitive system. Fuel injectors are not available.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys . Got the car started . Thanks for the advice . I had to crank her a lot with activation of cold start valve . Finally fuel started coming out and car started . Now she's running too rich . We shall now attend to that . At least she starts up now

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys . Got the car started . Thanks for the advice . I had to crank her a lot with activation of cold start valve . Finally fuel started coming out and car started . Now she's running too rich . We shall now attend to that . At least she starts up now
Did you change the setting on the fuel injector ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had got the Fuel injection pump , injectors and regulator valves serviced at Fairchild industries and they had tested it all on the test bench . Since the car was not starting at my end , i did turn the spring loaded screw a couple of notches but that made no difference as there was no fuel coming out of the injection pump . Finally it was incessant cranking that got fuel out and started car . Now I'm struggling to get her to idle properly as she keeps cutting off after 30 seconds

·
Registered
5 Posts
One the timing issue, do we keep the pump on 2 oclock while the camshaft on TDC ? w111 1965 mercedes 220se coupe . Any help please?

·
Registered
56 Posts
220SE is timed to TDC. All other mechanical fuel injected engines are set at 20 degrees ATDC except 6.3, 600 and 300SE/SL which are set at 60 degrees ATDC.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts