Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of putting my 72 280SE 4.5 back together. Got the gear selector swapped from column shift to floor shift, put in a new steering coupler and got it on the road. My forward gears are fantastic, but in rear it slips a tremendous amount. I have priced out rebuilt transmissions, but I have a 74 450SEL parts car with a good transmission in it.

Would the process be just switching the transmissions? Just looking under the parts car seems like it would be an easy swap. Does anybody have any idea on what this would take to accomplish or if this is even an option for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Swapping a transmission isn't too awfully difficult, but there's no guarantee you'll get a better one, or one that'll last any period of time.

If it's just reverse, chances are you have a slipping/worn band. Have you taken it to a repair shop to see what the price would be? I took ,y 4.5 to Aamco when I bought the car, and had the transmission totally redone. In all, I paid about $2000. You might be getting away with a better deal if only your reverse needs fixing ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts