Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1971 220s w108
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, need to replace my belts which involves removing the radiator. It seems to be fastened on the side with clips. Don't want to force it. Any tips??

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
Why are you removing the radiator to replace belts?

·
Registered
1967 250SE (W108)
115 Posts
I can't imagine they would make you take the radiator out just to get a belt off.
My 67 didn't come with a shroud, but I'm able to get the belts over the fan without removing it. Can you get one end of the belt between two fan blades, then work the other end of the belt over the remaining blades?

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
Removing the belts wouldn't be too awfully tough - loosen one or more of the auxiliaries and you're good. The alternator forexample, has something like two or three bolts (it's been a while since I did mine) that keep it in. Loosen those, move the thing and the belt slackens.

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
The alternator has a screw adjuster. If you have A/C, it's under the compressor. There is a locking nut on the screw, a locking bolt holding the top of the alternator in place and a lower long bolt to loosen. Undo the locking nut and upper bolt, screw the adjuster so the alt top moves in and remove the belt.

You probably have power steering too and the adjustment bolts etc are a little harder. The pump sits in a bracket and the nuts and bolts need to be loosened. There is a bolt at the front side with a locking nut that needs to be loosened. There is a long bolt that goes front to back and a mounting bolt accessible from the front through a hole. That one is a hex socket head bolt. Buy a set of Allen sockets since the car uses a lot of socket head bolts.

·
Registered
1971 220s w108
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The alternator has a screw adjuster. If you have A/C, it's under the compressor. There is a locking nut on the screw, a locking bolt holding the top of the alternator in place and a lower long bolt to loosen. Undo the locking nut and upper bolt, screw the adjuster so the alt top moves in and remove the belt.

You probably have power steering too and the adjustment bolts etc are a little harder. The pump sits in a bracket and the nuts and bolts need to be loosened. There is a bolt at the front side with a locking nut that needs to be loosened. There is a long bolt that goes front to back and a mounting bolt accessible from the front through a hole. That one is a hex socket head bolt. Buy a set of Allen sockets since the car uses a lot of socket head bolts.
Thanks for the advise!!!
I have successfully got the alternator belt on but am now having trouble with the power steering belt. It seems that with all the bolts loosened the pump doesn't pivet fully because the housing is stopping it from doing so. It's like the pump needs to drop about 10mm or the actual bracket needs to pivet with it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
512 Posts
PowerSteering belt

The pulley properly should be removed to get belt on before adjustment,

Or, (real sleazy trick here) loosen adjusters to inward stop, and place belt securly on crankshaft, tightly on top of PS pulley, it will do CLW rotation, turn motor over quickly with starter, belt will jump on and into groove. Tighten with side adjusting nut and lock down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts