Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 280 SEL 4.5 - 81 VW Rabbit - 85 XJS - 86 XJ6
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had just gotten back from a 500 mile road trip and my power steering was growling. I opened the hood to find a bit of a mess on the drivers side of the engine. After cleaning it off, I found that the fluid was leaking from around the top of the reservoir lid, under the wing nut that secures it. When you turn the wheel, a fine mist escapes from under the nut. I assume that while I was adding fluid, possibly in a not so well lit environment, there was some sort of washer I lost? I asked the local mechanic (I am away at school so I couldn't take it to my usual mechanic) if there was something that "should" be there and he "didn't know". I swear I remember something being there, but can anyone point me in the right direction and if there is something missing, maybe tell me where I can get it? I guess if I just have to rig something I will but any suggestions as to a proper fix are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Incorrect Wing nut and no Washer

The wing nut is not the correct one. I don't know where that one came from. Also you should have a washer under the wing nut. Can you take a quick look in your owner's manual where you will find a photo of the correct assembly? The Classic Center in Irvine California can supply the correct parts if you can't get them from your dealer. The lid must be positioned carefully when replaced so as not to crimp the rubber gasket inside. Try Bud's Benz in Douglasville, Ga, for this part. He deals in antique 280SL's. 800-942-8444.

·
Registered
72 280 SEL 4.5 - 81 VW Rabbit - 85 XJS - 86 XJ6
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wing nut is not the correct one. I don't know where that one came from. Also you should have a washer under the wing nut. Can you take a quick look in your owner's manual where you will find a photo of the correct assembly? The Classic Center in Irvine California can supply the correct parts if you can't get them from your dealer. The lid must be positioned carefully when replaced so as not to crimp the rubber gasket inside. Try Bud's Benz in Douglasville, Ga, for this part. He deals in antique 280SL's. 800-942-8444.
Thanks so much for the information! It was working fine so I'm sure I lost the washer. I will call the local dealership tomorrow and get ALL the proper parts.

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
SO why are you replacing a wing nut with another wing nut? A fastener won't make a difference with a leak. If anything, replace the o ring inside the lid and see if that fixes your problem.

·
Registered
W111 Coupe
1,214 Posts
You've got air in the system and the fluid is foaming and overflowing. You have to bleed the circuit via the bleeder on top of the steering box. If the problem reapears then you have a leak somewhere in the circuit where fluid escapes when the circuit is operating and air enters when engine is stopped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently got a 1972 4.5L 280SE that has the same issue, I have not been able to find the shop manual CD, and my local dealer does not have it any more.
for now where is the steering box bleeder?

·
Registered
1964 Mercedes 220Sb
103 Posts
I recently got a 1972 4.5L 280SE that has the same issue, I have not been able to find the shop manual CD, and my local dealer does not have it any more.
for now where is the steering box bleeder?
I just had to do this on my car, you should be able to have the cap off with the car running and turn it without anything coming out. If fluid comes out of the lid there is air getting into the system somewhere.

The bleeder is on the top of the steering gear and looks like a brake bleeder, mine had a rubber cap over it.

Here's a link to when I had the problem: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vintage-mercedes-benz/1524953-64-220s-steering-gear.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts