Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm thinking of ditching my '88 BMW 528e for an older MB as my daily driver. what are your feelings on using a w108 or w114 280 as a driver. Some other questions:

How are the gas engines compared to the diesels?
Are they injected or carb'ed?
The w108 seem to be selling for $3-4k and up? Why is such a beautiful car so (relatively) inexpensive?
Are there any pros or cons of a w114 over a w108?
How is part availablilty?

Thank you,

Peter

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
W111

Hello,

I have a '61 220SEb coupe and although i'ts not my main driver it still covers around 5000miles per year. In summer its used most days, but in winter it gets left in the garage, but thats mainly because of all the salt they pour on British roads during winter. I bought it in '97 and the only problems I've had is the clutch slave cylinder, a rear shock and the ignition switch which were all obtained from the main dealer within a week.
Most but the basic will be injected with Disc brakes power steering etc. and will cope well with modern driving conditions although may be no more powerfull or refined as a new compact/hatchback. They will however be built superbly and give a more enthusiastic drive.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
'64 220 SE

I had a '64 220 SE cupe that I used for a daily driver in the early 80's. Great engine, but the fuel economy was terrible. A lot of fun on the open road! Plenty of parts and support available. If you just want very basic transportation the 65 or 66 200 D will get the job done. Max speed 81 mph. 26 mpg.(US) Pricing from the low $2,000 to $6,000 for a really good one. Built to a very high standard for durability and longevity. Rust around the rockers and headlight under the fenders the biggest problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts