Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
W108 Engine

Hallo Guys. I can get a W108 280S (without an engine) for a good price. These cars are getting quite rare in South Africa (I presume worldwide) My first car (at the age of 18) was a 250SE and I always wanted to get myself another W108.

I need help in getting an Engine. As I can’t get hold of the original engine for that car (m130), I was wondering if the 280 Engine (DOHC M110) unit with transmission will work in the W108? Those engines are quite easy to obtain. Would I have to change the Differential gears?

I can also get a 3.5 v8 (From an W116) with transmission, but I guess the diff will defiantly need replacing then. As the w108 was basically only available in 280S and SEs in our country, I would not even know where to start to look for a replacement gear.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards,

·
Registered
668 Posts
M110...

most likely wont fit "as is" due to the twin cam head dimensions impacting the chassis at the firewall. The sheet metal on W114 had to be modified at the firewall for this engine to fit, and this chassis also used the M114 & M130 which were similar dimensionally.

The V-8 will work as the 3.5 and 4.5 litre units were put into W108s. All the "bits and pieces" will be challenge of the V-8 versions were never imported into your country.

If you can get a set of older microfiche, you can begin to sort out the part numbers, but remember you are also talking about a new wiring harness besides all the mechanical components... serious costs are involved.

Good luck,

JR

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
most likely wont fit "as is" due to the twin cam head dimensions impacting the chassis at the firewall. The sheet metal on W114 had to be modified at the firewall for this engine to fit, and this chassis also used the M114 & M130 which were similar dimensionally.

The V-8 will work as the 3.5 and 4.5 litre units were put into W108s. All the "bits and pieces" will be challenge of the V-8 versions were never imported into your country.

If you can get a set of older microfiche, you can begin to sort out the part numbers, but remember you are also talking about a new wiring harness besides all the mechanical components... serious costs are involved.

Good luck,

JR
SKLAS referred to a W108 not a W114.

·
Registered
668 Posts
To my knowledge...

the M110 was never fitted to the W108; I was pointing out that a chassis that ran concurrently with the W108 for a good part of its production run and was fitted single cam, in-line 6 cyl. engines, required modification to accommodate the much larger cyl. head of the M110, twin cam.

The upshot of the above was that the problems may well be encountered.

JR

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cold not believe my luck, saw an add for a 280SE 1971 today. The car is complete and seems to be in a very good condition. I am going to have a look at it tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts