Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 280S My trim pieces from the doors (at the window) and around the windscreens including the hood grille that’s just under the windshield.
What finish should they have? I turned them in for chrome and the shop wants $925, the more I think about it I am wondering if they are just polished aluminum?

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
You know, this begs a good question that I've been wondering about for a while. Some time, sooner or later, I'll be digging into my 300 with both hands and a cutting torch, and I want to have everything ready for the final build.

Is there any kind of rule of thumb for what I should pay for rechroming stuff, to include bumpers, grill and trim?

Or is it just cheaper to buy it all new?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rule of thumb

Hey Grubeguy, see your profile says deployed, Thanks for your service! I just retired, did 2 tours in Baghdad in 03 and 05.

I know there are many rules of thumb on the restoration business. I am no expert but In my opinion it all boils down to what you want to spend. My 71 280S was given to me for doing some countertop work in my landlady’s kitchen, great deal and I have put some money into her, paint and chroming, carb rebuild with plating etc. I don’t buy OEM if a knock off is avail. I don’t plan on showing my car in any completion and if the anodized aluminum is shot and I want to pay to have it chromed that’s that. I spent 30 bucks for a window switch when OEM cost 85.

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
Thanks for the thanks! I'm heading home in a few weeks, with intent to IA back to the sandbox...

I don't believe in OEM either, but for beauty items like chrome, I'm willing to shell out a little more. I just don't want to shell out tons (buying all new chrome) if it makes more sense to have my own stuff rechromed for less...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts