Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970 280 sel, 1979 300sd, 1988 300sel
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some recent pictures of my 280sel. It's a 280SEL with a 250se engine....I am getting ready to prep and paint the car close to the same color but with a slight green tinge to it so as to differentiate between todays colors and old vintage classic colors. The silver with green tinge will add to that vintage look. Not so interested in keeping it original anymore because the engine and head are not original. If I owned a 6.3 or 6.9(w116) it would be a different story...I will be lowering the car by using an air suspension. Will be converting the old seatbelt setup to the updated retractable system. I want this car to drive up and down PCH and the 101 and have people wonder what year is the car. I recently saw a 280 4.5, original shiny paint and was not impressed with the ride height, color of the exterior, the rims or tire selection. There are w108's and then there are W108's that turn heads. I will be updating the sound system by keeping the original becker installed in its place but installing a second stereo somewhere hidden from view. I want a new sound system but stealth. The car will look original but will grab more attention when its all done. Some will like it and some will not. But if you like pictures of w108 like I do, here you go..

Attachments

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
Search this forum - there's an outfit that makes what looks to be an original Becker radio, but with the guts of a modern stereo, including CD player. If memory serves, the cost was about $1100, but it might be worthwhile to see.

A 150 engine - not a hot rod, eh? Good looking ride, by the way!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will look for that stereo update. I remember once looking at a place in Burbank, CA that updated Beckers to have MP3 capabilties..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice...Really nice...Congratulations on moving fast with your projects. You have to enjoy life now not later. As for the air bags, I will look into your setup. I hear Hollywood Hot Rods in Burbank California know their bags. I will see if they have experience with Accuair. I actually had the hydropneumatic compensator on the rear but replaced it with the spring mechanism. I have been wondering if anyone can install an adjustable shock in such area(hydropneumatic area). This would allow the car to be lowered and lifted by manipulating the compensator. My car sat on the ground when i first purchased it. The hydro comp was shot. I still have the hydro shock and can get it repaired thru a European Company
SLS Ersatzteile - Mercedes-Benz other Classic Cars W111 W108 W114 etc

What were the costs for your Air Bag project (labor and parts)?

·
Registered
1968 250SE S-Class. 1988 560SEC S-Class Widebody
821 Posts
Thankyou :) I love my car

I think I have heard good things about that shop. They are quite easy cars to bag these things :)

Accuair is a great way to go, top of the line and fantastic to use. The E-level feature is priceless in my opinion and would not do a manual setup.

I have no knowledge of the hydro comp shocks, but your theory may be sound. perhaps just 1 airbag in its place connected to a compressor and simple manual valve but that would just take care of the rear. hhmmm

Budget around $4k +/- $500 depending on options for accuair elevel, bags, custom brackets and labor for install.

silly money really, but I found a killer deal on the accuair system of an auto shop clearing house had to do it at some point in my life and this was the car to do it on,

keep me posted, if you want a ride in my car and your in SD ever, hit me up

Nice...Really nice...Congratulations on moving fast with your projects. You have to enjoy life now not later. As for the air bags, I will look into your setup. I hear Hollywood Hot Rods in Burbank California know their bags. I will see if they have experience with Accuair. I actually had the hydropneumatic compensator on the rear but replaced it with the spring mechanism. I have been wondering if anyone can install an adjustable shock in such area(hydropneumatic area). This would allow the car to be lowered and lifted by manipulating the compensator. My car sat on the ground when i first purchased it. The hydro comp was shot. I still have the hydro shock and can get it repaired thru a European Company
SLS Ersatzteile - Mercedes-Benz other Classic Cars W111 W108 W114 etc

What were the costs for your Air Bag project (labor and parts)?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4k, Not bad if the car is a keeper and probably worth every penny. It would be nice to one day get together 10+ w108's and cruise up and down the California coast. If I'm ever in San Diego I would totally want to check out your car, thanks. It feels really cool to cruise my 280 but it would be a dream of mine to cruise with 10+ w108's. That will really turn hundreds of heads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts