Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,213 Posts
An estimate of time, or cost, or both? Be sure to specify if you are looking at having a dealer, or qualified indy do the job, or DIY. If you are planning having the job done at a shop, dollars to donuts they are going to bill you based on booktime.

Regardless which you go, be aware that a proper headgasket job involves machine shop time. At a minimum, the head must be checked for flatness and straightness. Ditto on the use of a new genuine MB headgasket kit and new set of headbolts.

·
Registered
W124
5,023 Posts
As Steve mentioned, above, there are a few things to consider with a head gasket replacement, and he outlined them pretty well. One additional consideration, although not really related to a head gasket or head gasket failure, is the condition of the wiring or electrical harness on the engine. The harness has been a source of trouble due to its being made of a biodegradable material. Unfortunately the relative of the Mercedes engineer who approved using these harnesses mis-led the engineer as to how long they would last. My point is that if the harness has never been changed, a shop may be reluctant to do the head gasket job because if the wiring harness fails while in their care, the car may be unusable without the harness being replaced. An estimate for replacing the harness (including the cost of a harness) is around $1200.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,960 Posts
Pilot,
What are your symptoms?
If I recall earlier you were asking for help a few weeks ago. Is this the same car? How are the engine harness and throttle body?
If you are mechanically inclined the harness should run 2-400 used on ebay, and a two hours of time to do yourself. But yes, harness new is a car value doubling $1200 ( new) for the part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As Steve mentioned, above, there are a few things to consider with a head gasket replacement, and he outlined them pretty well. One additional consideration, although not really related to a head gasket or head gasket failure, is the condition of the wiring or electrical harness on the engine. The harness has been a source of trouble due to its being made of a biodegradable material. Unfortunately the relative of the Mercedes engineer who approved using these harnesses mis-led the engineer as to how long they would last. My point is that if the harness has never been changed, a shop may be reluctant to do the head gasket job because if the wiring harness fails while in their care, the car may be unusable without the harness being replaced. An estimate for replacing the harness (including the cost of a harness) is around $1200.
I have been told by a reputable repair shop that the throttle body harness for the 104 engine is no longer made. I have
had some of the wires repaired by adding insulation to them. The only item I have not had done is the head gasket.

There is one other item he said that is no longer made, and that is the HVAC servos. Any suggesions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pilot,
What are your symptoms?
If I recall earlier you were asking for help a few weeks ago. Is this the same car? How are the engine harness and throttle body?
If you are mechanically inclined the harness should run 2-400 used on ebay, and a two hours of time to do yourself. But yes, harness new is a car value doubling $1200 ( new) for the part.
Yes, I just had a reputable repair shop tell me that the throttle body harness for the 104 engine is no longer made.
The cruise control was fixed by replacing a relay switch after running an ECM on the car. Also had several other
things fixed while it was there. One other part he said is no longer made is the HVAC servos. Any suggestions?

He also advised not to purchase a used harness since it would most likely be 20 to 30 years old also.

Thanks.

·
Registered
W124
5,023 Posts
Taking the statements your mechanic has made, at face value, then I would say your mechanic's knowlege of these cars is not as deep as you need it to be. Most any of us on this site are not professional mechanics and we are well aware that there were replacement harnesses made that many cars had installed. These replacement harnesses will most likely last the life of the car rather than 15 years for the original ones. On the other hand, if your mechanic was trying to "scare you off" on the harness replacement, maybe there is more to the story.

Additionally, there are many things that are no longer available but a resourceful person will find a solution. The Throttle Bodies are currently being rewired by a few different sources so there are people who do this regularly and who know these throttle bodies well. A mechanic who is not aware of these services is not very helpful at best, and downright useless at worst.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taking the statements your mechanic has made, at face value, then I would say your mechanic's knowlege of these cars is not as deep as you need it to be. Most any of us on this site are not professional mechanics and we are well aware that there were replacement harnesses made that many cars had installed. These replacement harnesses will most likely last the life of the car rather than 15 years for the original ones. On the other hand, if your mechanic was trying to "scare you off" on the harness replacement, maybe there is more to the story.

Additionally, there are many things that are no longer available but a resourceful person will find a solution. The Throttle Bodies are currently being rewired by a few different sources so there are people who do this regularly and who know these throttle bodies well. A mechanic who is not aware of these services is not very helpful at best, and downright useless at worst.
Do you know the name of companies that are rewiring the harness?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,111 Posts
mercedes never sold the throttle body harness by itself, they sold new and/or remanufactured throttle bodies that came with a new harness. used throttle bodies with 1998+ date codes are 100% acceptible, and readily available.

throttle body gasket for HFM E320's is part A1041410780 and are available from several vendors, Mercedes Throttle Body Mounting Gasket - Elring 1041410780

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,960 Posts
Pilot,
The replacement harnesses and throttle bodies were made with non degrading insulation so they will Outlast the car, like was mentioned above. Just find a harness with a "delphi*" part tag, or ETA with MFG date after 1998. Those were the ones manufactured to replace the ones with the faulty insulation. Splicing wires is more of a "bush fix", not a permanent solution.
Without a knowledgeable mechanic this car will eat your wallet. Something to think on.
Wishing you success, as we all love these cars and know they are great. But our group here also has great depth and breadth of knowledge specific to this model. Feel free to check here for guidance. Many members are very willing to share info freely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the off chance that your capable, it is absolutely justified, despite all the trouble. When its everything back together you can say work very much done in light of the fact that you ought to go into it taking a gander at fixing little subtleties - EG: Clean highest points of cylinders, flush square, enormous decrease + cleanup and the capacity to look at everything so YOU know in your mind that your autos head is 100% great.
On the off chance that you take it to somebody, they will do none of that. Just the absolute minimum. Also, it'll cost you somewhere in the range of $1200-$1600 for the head gasket alone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mercedes never sold the throttle body harness by itself, they sold new and/or remanufactured throttle bodies that came with a new harness. used throttle bodies with 1998+ date codes are 100% acceptible, and readily available.

throttle body gasket for HFM E320's is part A1041410780 and are available from several vendors, Mercedes Throttle Body Mounting Gasket - Elring 1041410780
But can I use it on a 1994 E320? I understand that each throttle body harness has a tag on it, and the new wiring harness needs to meet the specifications on the tag.

·
Registered
W124
5,023 Posts
Just to make sure the understanding is clear. When Delphi began making replacement harnesses, they all were a solution for the early degrading biodegradable harnesses. many owners had these installed in their cars. Many others are seeking these harnesses out of junkyards because they are a totally viable solution for the failed biodegraded harness in their car that had never been replaced.

There is a date after which the Throttle Bodies were produced with perfectly good harnesses as well. What you need someone to do is read the date on the Throttle Body and check your main harness for a Delphi tag.

There are companies that will replace the biodegradable Throttle Body harness and there are mulitple sources (eBay, forum members, etc,) for the Delphi harnesses.

Does this help?

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,111 Posts
But can I use it on a 1994 E320? I understand that each throttle body harness has a tag on it, and the new wiring harness needs to meet the specifications on the tag.
that PN I gave was for the GASKET not the harness. As I said, the throttle body harness was never separately sold, its part of the throttle body assembly.

there's two throttle bodies for 3.2L's, green label for no ASR, white label for vehicles with ASR.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to make sure the understanding is clear. When Delphi began making replacement harnesses, they all were a solution for the early degrading biodegradable harnesses. many owners had these installed in their cars. Many others are seeking these harnesses out of junkyards because they are a totally viable solution for the failed biodegraded harness in their car that had never been replaced.

There is a date after which the Throttle Bodies were produced with perfectly good harnesses as well. What you need someone to do is read the date on the Throttle Body and check your main harness for a Delphi tag.

There are companies that will replace the biodegradable Throttle Body harness and there are mulitple sources (eBay, forum members, etc,) for the Delphi harnesses.

Does this help?
Yes, it helps a lot. I have been experiencing a surge on the gas pedal when I push it to get around a slow car in
fast traffice. The mechanic at the local dealer told me that my throttle body harness was causing some of the problems I was having; i.e, oil sensor fluctuating wildly, cruise control not working. My mechanic, who I trust, did find a relay that
fixed the cruise control, and he stripped the wire and added insulation to the wire that went to the oil sensor. It now
works. I am also smelling oil after I drive it. He found oil in one of the spark plugs and replaced the gasket. But he
said that the oil that is being lost is laying in the pan under the car, and most likely it is spilling out when I go around a
sharp curve. I have only seen it twice at the front of the car in my garage. But I am still getting a wiff of burned motor
oil after driving it.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,213 Posts
The oil smell is very likely coming from the valve duct seals or the valve cover gasket. Just get a complete valve cover kit with valve duct seals from your local MB dealer.

As for the throttle body, just get a 2nd hand complete throttle body made in 1998 later. These are available all day long on fleaBay. Make sure you get a new gasket for the throttle body from the dealer as well to avoid vacuum leaks.

FYI, I've never seen the rewired throttle bodies go the long haul hence my preference for a good used unit as long as it was manufactured 1998 and beyond.

Be happy you're not driving a V12 powered W140. Same wiring issues, and same throttle body problems except on that motor you need 2 throttle bodies and each throttle body is new from the dealer for a mere $8K+ PER unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The oil smell is very likely coming from the valve duct seals or the valve cover gasket. Just get a complete valve cover kit with valve duct seals from your local MB dealer.

As for the throttle body, just get a 2nd hand complete throttle body made in 1998 later. These are available all day long on fleaBay. Make sure you get a new gasket for the throttle body from the dealer as well to avoid vacuum leaks.

FYI, I've never seen the rewired throttle bodies go the long haul hence my preference for a good used unit as long as it was manufactured 1998 and beyond.

Be happy you're not driving a V12 powered W140. Same wiring issues, and same throttle body problems except on that motor you need 2 throttle bodies and each throttle body is new from the dealer for a mere $8K+ PER unit.
Thanks a lot for the information. I will talk to my mechanic about the valve cover gasket. I thought he just changed
it with my spark plug change. I do not know about the seals as I am still smelling the oil smell occasionally.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,721 Posts
Not necessary this will help you but my head gasket failed back in 1998 (model year 1995) at only 25K miles. The dealership replaced it under warranty for free. Sold it at 145K miles many years ago and never had a drop of oil when I let it go. I suspect the second owner is still driving the car with the same second head gasket.

Clearly a case of installation issues at the factory or defective head gaskets of the originals.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts