Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the price of dino-diesel is going thru the roof, I am contemplating converting to waste veggie oil. I really don't want to spend $700 on a kit. Are there any other cheaper ways to convert since I'm pretty much mechanically inclined and some-what creative? Any Suggestions appreciated.Thanks

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
Find parts locally and make your own? If its hot enough during the summer you can do a 50/50 mix with out any problems. Running veggy oil thou can eat away older rubber parts quicker than normal I've heard.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, What I was thinking about doing is adding a 4-5 gallon tank in the engine compartment along with extra filters and the heat hoses some-how connected into the tank to heat the veggie oil.The original tank would remain diesel. I would buy the solenoid valve and filters then make the rest. I was concerned about what materials to use in construction of tank,lines etc.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1983 240D 4 speed
102 Posts
I have just finished hooking up the electricals on my Benz's SVO system today. I am running a second tank in the trunk with a three sided "collar" tank in which the radiator coolant flows as a heat exchanger.
You don't have to do it like that but DO NOT put unsupported copper tubing inside the WVO tank as a heat exchanger. Copper will become brittle and crack spewing coolant into the fuel and mucking up the IP.
My system uses braided clear hose as both coolant lines and fuel line.
I use a 6 port Pollack solenoid valve. These are prefered by many as they are mechanical and do not require constant electrical current to stay in any given position. They can be scavenged from any Ford truck with a two tank system if cost is a problem.
Some here have gotten away with using a standard picnic cooler as a fuel tank. Just coil a couple/few lengths of the braided line inside the cooler and that becomes the heat exchanger.
In the system I am running there is another heat exchanger right before the IP, it is hose in hose type made with a 3/8 copper water line going through a galvanised 1" pipe using T's for the coolant to enter and exit from.Compression fittings keep it from leaking out.
The braided lines are 1/2 ID for the coolant and .312ID for the fuel. My lines run inside the car and the fuel line piggy backs the coolant lines and the lot is insulated to keep in the heat. Hot from tank to IP.
You will need to pull the banjo bolt (that is the one next to the center bolt on the Benz' spin on where the return lines go) and fill the underside hole with a ground down screw or weld. This will prevent any SVO getting mixed with dino on the trip back to the tank. Some use a hose return to the SVO tank, I do not, mine is looped to return to the SVO feed line with a T connection.
I hope to have some pics and a diagram available in a couple weeks for the Benz 240D, but that is not for today.
I have rigged up a fuel sender in the tank along with an illuminated fuel gauge where I can keep a close eye on it.
Essentially all you need is a method of heating the SVO and delivering it hot to the IP. If you want to have a tank inside the engine compartment then simply run a couple lengths of black iron through the tank as a heat exchanger straight from the radiator's "hot" line and have a selector solenoid to switch back and forth. Start on dino and then once warmed up switch to vegie and when approaching destination switch back to dino to prime the system for the next start.
If you plan on running biodiesl in the second tank in winter due to geling concerns then follow the same patern, however if you will be using biodiesel during the warmer months it might be best to have a couple ball valves installed as a by pass for the coolant as it won't be necessary in summer climates.
You are better off using four ball valves rather than two three ways as the 3 ways are *expensive*.
That is the way I am set up. The biodiesel goes in the "hot" tank tomorow. I make my own and this, IMHO, is th eultimate answer to winter geling problems as related to biodiesel.
Also, it is the biodiesel that has the reputation for disolving rubber components on *some* pre-mid 80's vehicles. My 1983 Benz does not seem affected. I cannot say if WVO would do the same,not having any experience in that department.

·
Registered
300D, TD, 240D, 230
12 Posts
You can get a brand-new Pollak diverter valve from JC Whitney (mine was $56). If you live in a mild climate, you may not even need to pre-heat the oil. For a fuel tank, try West Marine. The Tempo brand tanks appear to be the same ones you'd get from Greasel. As far as filters go, you can get a pretty decent water-blocking 10 micron unit (with a repleceable element) at Coastal farm supply for $35.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your help. Any diagrams and pictures will be greatly appreciated.
Why is there a return line to the tank?
I'm trying to research this properly and then proceed with a good understanding of how it works inorder to advoid any pitfalls.
Thanks a million.
John

·
Registered
300D, TD, 240D, 230
12 Posts
If you haven't already, check out greaseworks.org. Justin may take a little while to get back to you, but he is an excellent resource.

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
Are there any step by step pictorials on converting a w123?? I've seen them for other makes but even then they arn't very great?? Only pics of complete systems, which is great but seems like some onw would have done a complete step by step pictorial with all the veg powered w123's out there??

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
ilikemercedes - 4/11/2005 10:40 AM

Are there any step by step pictorials on converting a w123?? I've seen them for other makes but even then they arn't very great?? Only pics of complete systems, which is great but seems like some onw would have done a complete step by step pictorial with all the veg powered w123's out there??
It has been done differently by so many there really is no step by step, though the concepts are the same. Mostly routing of plumbing differences. soooo again.... I reccomend the FAQ/DIY linked to above for ya'lls questions. That is EXACTLY what I created it for.

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
Thats a good link and I clicked on it earlier, there are 3256 topics and 25403 posts in the svo forum and not a single step by step pictorial, anyone that created one thats actually decent would become really popular really quick!

For me personally I drive about 90 miles aday, a greasel or grease car setup would pay for itself in about 6 months and it could be taken out and used on another car. Those setups so far look like the best bet imo, it doesn't look like anyone so far has done a better job of putting together a better system. Even a diy system is going to cost a few bucks to do it right and everyone that knows how to do it only wants to show off thier system instead of doing a step by step to help others, so the learning curve for noobs that want to convert thier cars by themselves isn't worth the few hundred bucks in savings to do it themselves unless a really good step by step was created (which may exist just nobody seems to know where) and there should be a step by step for just about ever diesel car known by now (you'd think anyway).

Does anyone have any really good info on a filtering setup?

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
ilikemercedes - 4/11/2005 1:30 PM

... and not a single step by step pictorial,...
Geee... does your mom spoon feed you still. [:eek:)] There is lot of plumbing diagrahms available on the net for this motor. Step by step is not real practical anyway because each system requires some differences according the the climate in which the vehicle is used.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What an amazing site! Thanks. I am really digesting the information before converting to W.V.O.. This really helps to advoid problems by trial and error. It's great to learn from those patient pioneers that have gone before us.
I don't know what I would do without this forum.
Probally be confined to driving Honda's and would never have tasted the great ride of the 123's.

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
coachgeo - 4/11/2005 11:42 AM

ilikemercedes - 4/11/2005 1:30 PM

... and not a single step by step pictorial,...
Geee... does your mom spoon feed you still. [:eek:)] There is lot of plumbing diagrahms available on the net for this motor. Step by step is not real practical anyway because each system requires some differences according the the climate in which the vehicle is used.
Geeeee....your really arrogant!

Edit: Your posts are helpfull but please don't act like your an expert on this subject because your not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts