Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
W210 E 240
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a W210 C270CDi that occationally go into limp. It may run OK for a few days or go into limp after only 5 Km. Cats have been removed. Only errors on diagnostic is EGR valve (cannot remember the code). EGR has been tested, OK, vacuum pipe was disconnected but it made no difference. Injectors have been tested and are OK. Inlet manifold is clean and swirl flaps are working freely. Any ideas? Could this be the (faulty) MAF sensor causing the ECU to "think" that the EGR valve is open when it isnt (read of cases where faulty MAF caused other problems without showing on diagnostics)? Would gladly replace if it is faulty but, since they are expensive I dont want to waste money by replacing a perfectly good one.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,710 Posts
Do you seriously think we will know the code that you can not remember?
Not only you have very rare engine for the model, but sounds like you did several modification to the engine and it no longer runs to the manufacturer specification.
Where did you get the ideas for mods? That would be the place I would go with the problems.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Pretoria? How about telling us more about your country?

·
Registered
2000 E320
21 Posts
Not sure about the problem. But in S.A the w210 270cDi is quite common. Thats where 'pretoria' is. 'CA Bay area' - that a country? ;)

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
I am agree with Mr. Kajtek, with all the mods, you have created a soup that no one knows what that is. I did read this last night but once the car is just neglected and everything under the hood and outside of the hood is a suspect.... you got the message.

Good luck.

·
Registered
36,710 Posts
Not sure about the problem. But in S.A the w210 270cDi is quite common. Thats where 'pretoria' is. 'CA Bay area' - that a country? ;)
CA stands for California - most people know the country,
Bay Area stays for San Francisco area.
While city of San Francisco is pretty small, the Bay Area is housing well over 10 million people

·
Registered
2000 E320
21 Posts
CA stands for California - most people know the country,
Bay Area stays for San Francisco area.
While city of San Francisco is pretty small, the Bay Area is housing well over 10 million people
Ok nice, thats alot of people for one city/area. The whole of S.A is about 42 million last time i checked. We have alot of w210's thankfully though.
Sorry for off-topic. As to 'Barend' would I be correct in saying - There has to be a code that tells us whats wrong. Check codes again. There should be something that will point in the right direction.

Perhaps search for the causes of limp mode - and start working from there to diagnose the issue.
Goodluck

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,583 Posts
Do you seriously think we will know the code that you can not remember?
Not only you have very rare engine for the model, but sounds like you did several modification to the engine and it no longer runs to the manufacturer specification.
Where did you get the ideas for mods? That would be the place I would go with the problems.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Pretoria? How about telling us more about your country?
It's only rare where you are...but the rest of the world is even bigger than the USA. I would say MAF...a common problem on this common engine.

·
Registered
W210 E 240
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretoria is the administrative capital of South Africa, about 55Km north of Johannesburg. The code is P1403 EGR negative control variation. I agree that the car has been modified, but removing the cats on a diesel without any sensors on the exhaust should not cause problems? I can just refit the vacuum pipe on the EGR but I already tried both on and off and it made no difference. Havn't read codes for gearbox. Can gearbox cause limp? I dont think it is temp because it sometimes goes into limp cold.

·
Registered
36,710 Posts
... The code is P1403 EGR negative control variation. .............
removing the cats on a diesel without any sensors on the exhaust should not cause problems? .
Hm... don't cats affect the exhaust variations?
Again, I am not familiar with this engine, but mess is a mess.
Bad MAF would not cost limp mode, but default mode that would give about 75% of engine power.

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,219 Posts
Cats should be able to remove/empty without any problem, effect to the exhaust is nothing that engine normal control can handle.

MAF may be culprit, but I still would examine EGR system more carefully; EGR vacuum pipe off should trigger a fault code!? Other possible reasons could be boost pressure leak/pressure sensor malfunction (is there smoke in acceleration)? Gear box may cause a limp mode of course, but again there should be a fault code again.

What's your diagnostic device? Hopefully it is a Star?

·
Registered
W210 E 240
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diagnostics is by Snap On Solus, super on this car. We can even draw data graphs etc. Wont help with my mother in law though.

EGR valve and turbo variable vane actuator don't seem to have sensors. MAP is new and shows no codes. So what puts the ECU into limp? Will get gearbox codes on Mon or Tue. If only MAF's were not so $$$! we'd replace them every day like spark plugs!

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,219 Posts
I dare to say that star is only and one diagnostic tool which gives true values and codes (some parameters is given as a graph too if wanted). Well, W210 is 'old enough' car and some other diagnostics will work there too... but back to the business;

You can change the sensor element only (attached with two torx), no need to buy whole pipe assembly. Much cheaper, if I recall right about 70€... and it will fail someday in any case, so you'll have spare part if no help this time :thumbsup:

Edit:here is example of sensor, more expensive tough...

Edit2: did you clean the egr valve too? How about the exhaust smoke, is there any?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts