Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Currently owner of 2 x ML 320 - 2000 & 2001/Sport
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re.; W-163 ML 320 2001;
After having everything fixed and enjoying the car all over again the yellow CHECK LIGHT came back on. The code is: P 200B-001 with an annotation: P0422 - "right catalytic converter". There are no symptoms whatsoever, the car runs smooth and quiet, only this annoying light. After checking the code at MB I had errors cleared, but the light came back on after ca.: 500 miles and stays on since. Anyone knows how to fix that?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
That annoying light, as you call it, is there for a purpose and that is to alert one if something is wrong with your vehicle.

It is telling you that your right side cat. is on its' way out and regardless of how many times you clear the code, it will return. The only alternative is to replace it with another catalytic converter.

Attachments

·
Registered
Currently owner of 2 x ML 320 - 2000 & 2001/Sport
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again 43 SQD, should I check/replace the oxygen sensor 1st? or from my description it suggest only one thing: replacement of the TWC?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Thanks again 43 SQD, should I check/replace the oxygen sensor 1st? or from my description it suggest only one thing: replacement of the TWC?
You can if you want, but if you had a bad O2 it would have shown an O2 code and not the cat code. In my opinion the O2's on that side are doing their job.

Maybe you can find a salvage yard and buy the right side cat, providing there is no law prohibiting that.

·
Registered
2010 ML350
5 Posts
Tonight my ML500 is parked elsewhere. It will start fine, and then after about 5 miles it just stops. I limped it to a parking lot before my wife came and took me home. I need advice. Could it be a catalytic converter gone bad? Seems like if I let it sit for 15-20 minutes it would start up normal as the day with a check engine light but 5 miles and it is down. I'm not near a dealership so any advice could help.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,756 Posts
Go to nearest auto parts store and pick up a code reader or better yet good OBDII scanner. Ask for something that will display live OBDII data stream. Innova 3130 or something like that. Walmart has 3030 but that is just code reader.

Next time you post here start new fresh thread. Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Tonight my ML500 is parked elsewhere. It will start fine, and then after about 5 miles it just stops. I limped it to a parking lot before my wife came and took me home. I need advice. Could it be a catalytic converter gone bad? Seems like if I let it sit for 15-20 minutes it would start up normal as the day with a check engine light but 5 miles and it is down. I'm not near a dealership so any advice could help.
As Witek advised above, if you own an ML you'd better purchase an OBDII code reader.

I have to say from what you describe, it's sounding like your crankshaft position sensor.

However, have the OBDII codes read during the 'no-start episodes' and if you obtain code P0335, purchase a crankshaft position sensor from AutohausAZ and replace - It's not too expensive so don't worry.:)

If you are a DIY-er and require information on the whereabouts on the engine of the sensor, and pictures/instructions on how to change it, do a search on this Forum.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts