Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I NEED one!

Second of all, Portal box bug, kick @$$!

Little pricy for a bug, but nice replica

dubdubdub.oldbug.com/warbug.htm

-Trev

Attachments

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
Iam pretty sure my old 57 drop side transporter had those dropbox axles and 25hp too Iam trading a sand rail to get it back.what a beauty that is nice work!

·
Registered
1978 406.120 1977 416
528 Posts
Yep, Portal "swing" axles were on VW busses until 1967 I think, 1968 started the IRS transmissions. I have a 1964 baja bug with a 1962 portal axle bus trans.
The swap is very easy, I put mine in with a "Johnson no hop kit" which means it has an extra set of trailing arms. The kit came with a list of the possible gear combinations for the portals... and there was a page and a half... must have been 50 or more gearing options.
Oh and with the bus transaxle you get bus brakes http://www.benzworld.org/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
Aloha
Tim
64 Baja bug
71 westy bus
63 VW Variant type3- single side draft solex carb (before dual carbs)
78 406.120 ex Bundeswehr excavator

·
Registered
1981 U1300L
1,302 Posts
that bug is a beauty, ive wanted to build one like that for a long time. anybody here familar with class 11 baja 1000 racing.? stock, older bugs.....the bus axils are not allowed. i bet trucktor is familiar with class 11. cheers, kris

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
The bus transaxle gives better ground clearance, and lower gearing. Very similar to what was in the kubelwagen, schwimmwagen, and type 82E. Now people commonly swap the reduction box (portal) transaxles out for direct drive (higher speed), to keep up with todays highway speeds. That is a sweet rare bug. I'm working on a 57 ragtop that I've had for 20 years. I have to say that there are some bits of german engineering that remain the same regardless of brand.

Reactions: slothmog

·
Registered
U-406/416
688 Posts
Thats pretty cool, but for that amount of money someone can put much stonger mogg or volvo portals on a much more powerfull vehicle such as a jeep or even a sammy. Still very cool with great collecter valubility. Is there a conversion avalible to make a Bug 4 wheel drive. If all wheels dont spin your not going to win..

·
Registered
1978 406.120 1977 416
528 Posts
That IS a beautiful bug, nice color too. A nice portal axled bug like that would look epic, being towed behind a nice Campermog. Dream, Dream, Drool, Drool.
Mog on...

Take care
Tim
( Charter member of the camping for life club)

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
portal front

That is a super cool Bug. Guess it is just rear wheel drive though. Imagine 4x4 :) Where is it?

Used to have a friend in the late 70s with a VW Thing. We would take it off roading and I was always amazed what it would climb. Engine over axle makes a big difference. So I bet that little Bug would do ok. Still...4x4 ahhh.

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
I have always wanted one of those as well. There used to be one that would fly down the Glenn Highway to anchorage and back at over 80mph little buggar sounded wicked, I had a home built Bug w/ about a 100hp.I called it my biggest distraction cause all I wanted to do was rally it, I still have it but no motor it Has a winch and 31/15.5 terra tires. Fire it up and nothing left to do but smile smile smile... It looks like a roadster I might drag it out for a pic. Has to be the most simple auto ever VW bug and what a cool job they did w/ the one that is shown. I wonder whats on the fender of that grey one? I took the friends out in a 63 bug and ripped the shifter handle off we made it home but had to push start it a couple times because it was still stuck in gear. Oh what fun I went from a 72 Super Beetle to a 70 SS 396 Chevelle.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,083 Posts
It is a NOTEK Black-out lamp on the fender. Same thing appeared on Kubelwagens and other German Vehicles of WWII.

6V, 35w Bulb, three intensity settings.

Attachments

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,333 Posts
I wouldnt underestimate the capability of the bug. Especially a portal bug. I used to have a nice little track setup near my shop that I took the mog out on almsot daily. This track stretched the traction limits and break over limits of my highly modded 404. I built a nice baja bug for my little brother and guess where I took it for its first drive. Well, the steep loose hill climbs that took very special care and RPM control with the 404, the bug just flys over. The bug could handle all of it minus the large ledges. Of course all this was done at speed with the bug, and at crawl with the mog. The mog stayed wheels to the ground the whole time but the bug left all four from the earth a few times. Man that was fun!! Then a few weeks later, I rolled the poor bug at the dunes. A couple min of pounding out the roof etc, it was back in action and sold a year or two ago for 3grand.

Hell, after watching some of the videos from the 09 callico mog fest, Id wager i could take a bug through most of those trails minus the shear ledges. Granted the bug would be a little smashed up and likely no longer usable as a vehicle.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,433 Posts
Hell, after watching some of the videos from the 09 callico mog fest, Id wager i could take a bug through most of those trails minus the shear ledges. Granted the bug would be a little smashed up and likely no longer usable as a vehicle.
When I was a teen, we routinely drove Beetles through some pretty horrible stuff in the forests of northern WI - the same roads I cruised on my enduro bikes. We used to run narrow pizza cutter snow tires with studs and got great traction on the sandy soil !

These were the early-mid 60's 1192cc 36 HP cars. Hell, even the factory sales brochures of the time used to list a 'climbing ability' of something like 40 degrees. If we got stuck, two guys could almost lift the back end. I remember a couple of my friends and I once lifted the front so high in the air we grounded out the little rear bumper ! Beetles were great fun - I drove a 1300cc 1967 model for years on the street. One of my kids has a 'New Beetle' TDi - she thinks it's cool and all that, but it's sure not a 'Bug'...

Those early Type 1 Beetles are worth a shocking amount of money now - if we only knew back when we were rolling them into ditches backwards after loosing traction on sandy fire roads :thumbsup:

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,083 Posts
I'll confess.

I had a '67 BAJA Bug (last year with the steel dash, and the best tranny)with a built Dual-port 1750 engine. I was (WAS...) a neatness fanatic. I washed it everyday (serious malady) and waxed it most every Friday. I worked in the body shop of a VW-Porsche Agency in Newport Beach, so it was my check-out routine : Spritz it off and get motoring. Plus, there wasn't much bodywork
to speak of, so waxing an already waxed bug was pretty quick.The engine
sheetmetal was a pristine white, if that is any indication (also waxed).

I ran GATES tires(bigs and littles), and a legal-looking exhaust that had no guts. It was a snappy blast, and Porsche 356's ,912's and 914's were easy meat on the street, and Orange county was full of them.

Off-road I lost the muffler and bolted on a straight though Megaphone. BRAAATTTTT ! Nasty noise. I lost the Aircleaner one night during a poker run in Ocotillo Wells, and sanded the engine. Not so BAD...Since I worked at the dealership, a new set of
bigger barrels (1800 now) and a full valve job, with all new stuff etc. (at cost) took about 3 hours in the shop and it was back.Nothing like having a shop full of talented VW mechanics to help the kid out.
Off road it was a pure blast, and would rocket up giant dunes that it wouldn't seem to be able to master. Whatever it was about that thing, it surprised a lot of people including myself. Fun car.

Sold it to get a 4X4 FORD...go figure.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, I didn't realize so many of you guy's were Bug aficionado's as well. I've tried to buy several thoughout the years, but they all turned out to be rust buckets upon inspection. Some day I'll come across one worth owning.

-Trev

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,433 Posts
Nothing like having a shop full of talented VW mechanics to help the kid out.
hehe - during that same time, my Dad raced Formula Vee. He and his buddies were always tinkering and swapping out parts for The-Next-Big-Thing as the class was real competitive then (before the big money).

The cast-off parts and some of the cheater stuff ended up on my motor - flowed heads, overbored cylinders, cheater cams and some trick PITA 2-carb manifold which I think was off somebodies SCCA 914-4. Damn thing was so over-carb'ed. You should have seen it at night, blowing flames out the EMPI trumpet exhaust, lighting up the houses on downshifts. Bugs were geared so low, I could beat damn near ANYTHING across the intersection when the light turned - I had great 60' times !

I actually found a couple of bottles of Kartane-brand nitromethane in my Mom's garage a few months ago. Vee guys used to use this stuff as a cheater fuel additive. Your eyes would start to burn like you were watching Funny Cars when the Vee pack went into the 1st turn :thumbsup:

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,083 Posts
Good memories.

I spent a couple of weeks driving a borrowed and decent VW THING some months ago and could not wait to get out of it...I thought about getting it and doing it up....but I decided I had enough undone projects in my life.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts