Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a vortex generator and for $30 is it worth it on ebay?.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7967664263&category=42604

--deathy

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
Hey, there is a 30 day money back guarantee, why not get one and try it out and post your results!

PT

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
hate to break it but this doesnt work (tried it a long time ago on my eclipse)... well not all of what he said is not true... it does add a little MPG ... slows down the car though and loose hp. think about it.. what is faster going on a straight line or going around in circles? this will just restrict the airflow going to the manifold... why would you need the swirling air effect if that effect will just break going to the manifold.. and the air divided into number of cylinders... but hey 30 full refund.. might have a different result on a supercharged car..

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
Yeah, I was not expecting too much, but it would be interesting to have someone actually test it out in a controlled way and post the results. Only way to combat these crazy claims made by crappy products on ebay.

Maybe someone will type Vortex Generator into google before they buy one and find an honest review here...

PT

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
It's the automotive version of the stellar "black hole" ....just designed by humans to suck in you hard earned bucks [:eek:)] And ask how many refunds they've made so far versus how many sold vs. how many requests of refunds.

Regards

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep talked about it at dinner with friends found out this is the gayest thing ever. I have a supercharger I am forcing air into my engine the last thing I want is some magical spinning gay fan in the way of my hard earned air flow :p

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
If not this exactly, something similar in many forms has been around since ....

If not this thing exactly, something similar in many forms has been around since at least the early 1930's. Propellers, wings, blades, you name it.
Max is right, the only thing better is the fuel nozzle that the inventor sold to the oil companies. They bought the nozzle and surpressed it, so that we couldn't have 70 mile per gallon cars. ....[}:)][:D][;)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: If not this exactly, something similar in many forms has been around since ....

The device does a great job in restricting airflow. But does not do much else.

One of the other products out there that I love is a cooling fan designed for a PC that goes into the intact tract. They try and claim the fan will compress the air enough to give you a boost.

·
Registered
99 slk 230 sport
144 Posts
My graduate research was on vortex generators. Think of the spiral trail left behind fighter jets. This will do nothing to improve your performance. A vortex generator thins the miniscule boundary layer (thermal and laminar) of airflow on the walls downstream of the flow. This is a good thing for compact heat exchangers (my research) where the benefit of increased thermal transfer offsets the increased flow restriction. Since we are not trying to increase thermal exchange on the walls of our intake I see no merit to this device.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Yeah, I read about these pieces of crap too. The pressure drop across the device far outweighs any benefit from airflow patterns created.

·
Registered
99 slk 230 sport
144 Posts
Most people mock the Flux Capacitor without truly understanding it's awesome powers. I have had one on every car I have owned. It doesn't improve MPG, but you can travel back to when gas was $0.25/gal [:D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Most people mock the Flux Capacitor without truly understanding it's awesome powers. I have had one on every car I have owned. It doesn't improve MPG, but you can travel back to when gas was $0.25/gal
I think every car should have one. Problem is in London trying to find somewhere where you can get up to 88mph !!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts