Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Volume Control Possessed on Stock/Bose/Becker Headunit

A few months ago, when I got my 2001 E320, I noticed that when I touched the volume knob on my head unit (not turned...just touched), it sometimes 'muted' altogether. When I stuck w/the steering wheel controls, all was fine, so I've been sticking w/that.

But recently I've noticed that the volume goes down and UP seemingly at will, but pretty much limited to acceleration & braking. At first, I thought this might be a 'noise-sensing volume control' thing...where the unit turns the volume up when ambient noise increases & down when it decreases (a pretty common feature on many car stereos, but usually one you can disable if you want).

But these changes aren't always 'correct'; sometimes it goes up when you slow down, and when I looked in the owner's manual, it didn't mention any auto-adjusting volume feature.

Anyone else have this issue? Do you think it merits a Becker USA repair? BTW, this is a radio issue...I don't have a CD changer, and I don't use the cassette deck.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Pull the knob, and spray the sh*t out of the volume control with MAF cleaner (non-residue electronic cleaner) working the stem back and forth with a small pliers.

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Pull the knob, and spray the sh*t out of the volume control with MAF cleaner (non-residue electronic cleaner) working the stem back and forth with a small pliers.
x2. If that doesn't work Becker will fix it for a reasonable fee, just the hassle of sending it off. Since the control is a ways into the reciever, the best thing to do is to take it out, take off the covers, and spray directly into the volume control in the radio. But, eventually it will likely need to go back to Becker.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Whatever it takes to spray the cr*p out of it while working it back n forth.... MAF cleaner is a great value for large-type can for $6-$7 as compared to "electronics cleaner"....it's not a signal problem is dirt/corrosion being carried thru the control...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I believe it does have speed sensing volume adjustment too. On mine, the trigger points are at 20 km/h increments.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all!

I might have thrown you off a bit when I said that when I touch the volume control KNOB, it sometimes mutes the volume....cuz in everyday use, I never TOUCH the volume pot....I only change the volume via my steering wheel control!

That means I'm bypassing any physical movement of the pot., so I kinda doubt this has to do with any po tdirt/grit and/or any other physical problem with it. It's not like the knob is motorized, like some high-end home audio pieces...is it?

Hearing that some think there IS a speed-sensing volume feature makes me think the problem lies there. BTW, is it speed sensing, or ambient-noise sensing (in most other car stereos, it's the latter. I think I'll call Becker in NJ tomorrow and ask them about it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts