Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C240
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with their voltage regulator? If it goes out will it over charge the battery?

I got a new MB battery and i think either my alternator or voltage regulator is the problem. My car is showing a red Check Battery/alternator warning.

·
Registered
2012 C300 4Matic
178 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with their voltage regulator? If it goes out will it over charge the battery?

I got a new MB battery and i think either my alternator or voltage regulator is the problem. My car is showing a red Check Battery/alternator warning.
Is there a menu in the 2002 model that shows the battery voltage? I think there is (do a search). Get into that menu and watch the voltage as you rev the engine. Should be pretty obvious. Otherwise have someone use a voltage meter.

·
Registered
2002 C240
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK i did what you said and the voltage stayed at 12 volts. After reving the car it only went to 12.1 volt. I only left the car running for a few min.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
a defective voltage regulator can cause different issues. it can cause the voltage to go way to high, around 18-20 volts. it can cause the car to not charge, it can cause it to charge at only 11.5-12.5v, at idle and at 2000 rpm. the only way to tell is to replace it and see if the voltage at idle goes back up to 13.4-14.1v at idle.

·
Registered
2011 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon
1,023 Posts
OK i did what you said and the voltage stayed at 12 volts. After reving the car it only went to 12.1 volt. I only left the car running for a few min.
How do you get to that menu? I havent found in the regular menu list on me Benzo...

·
Registered
2012 C300 4Matic
178 Posts
Judging by this it's either the voltage reg or the alternator. Have the alternator bench tested; if it's good then your problem is the voltage reg.

Like the other guy was saying, a bad voltage reg CAN over charge the battery (when you revved it the voltage would have jumped quite high - that doesn't sound like your problem.)

·
Registered
2002 C240
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to get to the volt menu all you need to do is stick the key in and turn it to the first position. Select the menu where you see your milage. when you see that hit your trip reset 3 times then it pops up. It shows your firmware, vin, voltage etc..

I also ran a volt meter to the battery and to the alternator. they both say 12.1 volt. So i am assuming it is the alternator that died and the car is running on battery power. Called MB and it looks like $800 for the alternator and it will take 4 hours @ $150 and hour. plus the $200 tow charge to the MD dealer. :-( i am thinking about doing it myself. Is it that hard? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
if you are trying to save money, buy the regulator first, its only about $60 from the dealer. you can replace it on the car. just dismount the alternator from the car and turn it to the side. then remove a few bolts and screws and it comes off. if it doesnt fix it then you may need the alternator. doesnt sound like the alternator is bad.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,126 Posts
Wow, 800? + 600 + 200 = WOW!!!! Thats rediculous!
No thats insane, like crackhead insane!
Read this
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/1374020-anyone-diy-their-own-alternator.html

You can DIY pretty easy.
It's not rocket science.

The only thing I forgot to mention is removing the belt.
You use an E12 or E14 socket I forget, and put it on the bolt sticking out of the front of the tensioner, and pull it back, pull the belt off.
Good time to replace the belts too! Belt routing is in the owners manual.

As you'll see you can DIY for about $200 and not just the
regulator. You'll see, I posted pics in the above thread.

Geez, I thought 1200 was bad.
Dealers just have NO SHAME!
People are offing their benz's because of crap like this.

Open your local phone book, under Automotive, and then Electrical, you'll see ads for places that will rebuild for you, maybe even swap for you, and won't cost no stinking $1600 !!!
God that just make me mad!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Wow, 800? + 600 + 200 = WOW!!!! Thats rediculous!
No thats insane, like crackhead insane!
Read this
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/1374020-anyone-diy-their-own-alternator.html

You can DIY pretty easy.
It's not rocket science.

The only thing I forgot to mention is removing the belt.
You use an E12 or E14 socket I forget, and put it on the bolt sticking out of the front of the tensioner, and pull it back, pull the belt off.
Good time to replace the belts too! Belt routing is in the owners manual.

As you'll see you can DIY for about $200 and not just the
regulator. You'll see, I posted pics in the above thread.

Geez, I thought 1200 was bad.
Dealers just have NO SHAME!
People are offing their benz's because of crap like this.

Open your local phone book, under Automotive, and then Electrical, you'll see ads for places that will rebuild for you, maybe even swap for you, and won't cost no stinking $1600 !!!
God that just make me mad!

also understand that you have a benz, not a honda. parts arent cheap and labor isnt cheap. you are paying for someone else to replace a part for you. besides dealers all accross the us are always 50% more expensive then the auto shop down the street.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I guess you would know.
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic
So whats your advise?
He should pay it?

I think the question was, are there alternatives? Yes.
Is it a hard job to DIY? no.

I posted some useful info, and an actual DIY.
And your contribution to finding alternatives to being greased and bent over is to defend a dealer that charges 1600 for an alternator?

I think we all "understand" how dealers like to make people pay through the nose. It's a given. Thanks for reminding us!

Why bother trying to help people, now that I've been reminded how valuable the assistance of the dealer is. :notworthy:

I'm looking forward to even more amazing gems of info such as this.

also understand that you have a benz, not a honda. parts arent cheap and labor isnt cheap. you are paying for someone else to replace a part for you. besides dealers all accross the us are always 50% more expensive then the auto shop down the street.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
if he doesnt feel he can handle the job then taking it to the dealer or taking to a shop is my advice. i am not defending the dealer, i am a tech at a benz dealer and you are paying for my time and experience. if its too expensive, go somewhere else. yea i own a honda because its a relibale car and it gets incredible gas mileage. i used it as a comparison because i hear customer all the time saying "oh my honda never has these problems or on my honda or toyota its only $99 for brakes". it doesnt matter what manufacture or what dealer you go to, they are all expensive. you are paying for factory trained techs, you are paying for original MB parts and you get a warranty on the part and labor. again if its too much you have 2 options. learn how to do the job yourself or go to a independent shop.

and you wont find many MB techs who are willing to come onto these boards and help people. i take the time to give my assistance, something alot of techs would charge for.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
to get to the volt menu all you need to do is stick the key in and turn it to the first position. Select the menu where you see your milage. when you see that hit your trip reset 3 times then it pops up. It shows your firmware, vin, voltage etc..

I also ran a volt meter to the battery and to the alternator. they both say 12.1 volt. So i am assuming it is the alternator that died and the car is running on battery power. Called MB and it looks like $800 for the alternator and it will take 4 hours @ $150 and hour. plus the $200 tow charge to the MD dealer. :-( i am thinking about doing it myself. Is it that hard? What do you guys think?
I did mine and it took maybe an hour tops. Very simple. 4 hours at dealership? is that with all coffee breaks and lunch? Unreal!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Streetglower- Yes, you are probably right, a Honda is lprobably less expensive to maintain. I don't find brake jobs to be any different than any other car I've owned though, since you used that as an example. Not enough to justify $1000 an hour to change pads, as my dealer once offered to. (250 in labor per axle while it was already on a lift with the wheels off, as part of another service already being billed, pads only, no rotors, 15 minutes tops per axle. )
I did the front pads myself, the rear pads were fine, didn't need replacing.
They never suggested they did down the road...I'd ask them, so how's the rear pads? Oh fine... So, that was $350 for a repair it didn't need and they admitted it.

I had a feeling you worked or represented a dealership in some capacity based on your response. I spend most of my time over on mbworld and I've helped a lot of people.
Most certainly I never collected a dime from anyone I helped.

So that being said, I am a little new around here, sorry for jumping at you, but
like I said, the content of that particular post didn't tell anyone anything they didn't already know.

My really big issue with the dealers is when they inflate the time it takes to do things, as shown above. An "unskilled" layman was able to do his alternator in a hour, but a dealer figures it takes 4.
So, to me, thats FRAUD!
There was a post around here somewhere from a guy who had a tranny pump replaced.

He dropped it off on a Sat. and picked up on Mon.
The shop was closed on Sun.

The total number of hours he was billed exceeded the numbers of hours in the days the car was in the shop, even if you included Sunday when the shop was closed!

Thats not even funny, helpful, or anything but criminal.

A shop expects an hourly rate of $160 an hour. Hey, they got expenses, I can understand that.
If they actually billed by the hour, it might not be soooo bad, expensive, but
the reality is they are more likely, as shown in the example above and in my experience, to charge $600-1000 an hour, OR MORE, by inflating the time spent.

I can't see how this is any different than stopping someone on the street and stealing their wallet. It's wrong, it's criminal, it's fraud. It's robbery!

So, I'm sure you are a very good tech, but at the higher levels, it seems that the dealers are just about the same as a petty thief or a bank robber, with a license to steal, and no accountability for their actions.

Thats why I try to make people aware of alternatives, and post DIYS.
And yes, not everyone can DIY, like the guy who couldn't tell the
tranny from the engine. Yes, agreed.
If people don't mind shoveling money to the dealer, more power to them,
I do my own repairs as much as possible for 2 reasons.
1. Costs savings,
2. I know it's done right, assuming I've done the research and got the right info. Not to say, I never made a mistake, but when I did take my car to the dealer, so very often they would fix one thing, and break another.
I'd have my SA inspect the work after making trips to the dealer and the car
being in total disarray, and he'd say, 'don't come!'

I ended up taking the car to another dealer to fix all the stuff the 1st one broke. (Under warranty)

I've had other vehicles, not benz, where the factory techs did things that resulted in thousands in damages, so yeh, there's a trust issue there.

And yes, you are correct some people shouldn't go near a wrench.
But that doesn't mean they should be taken advantage of and charged
$1000 an hour for not knowing any better.

"you are paying for original MB parts and you get a warranty on the part and labor. again if its too much you have 2 options. learn how to do the job yourself or go to a independent shop."

Agreed.

I use only original MB parts as well, (except brake pads, ceramics rule!) but I buy them online for below MSRP. I can see the MSRP of any part I buy online, and the sad fact is my closest dealer charges anywhere from 2-4x the MSRP for a part. Occasionally I have no choice. Fortunately one of the dealers who sells online is only about 75 miles away and everything gets here in a day.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

Hmmm i tried and couldnt get to that...

·
Registered
2002 C240
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thanks everyone with all of the post. I ended up doing the job myself. It took me about 20 min to take the alternator out. Then i took it to a auto parts store to get it tested. He said the alternator is not producing DC power but everything else is working. So he recommend me to just get a voltage regulator and put it in. Take it back to get tested. So i am going to do that later today after work. Well see how my first DIY on my car ends up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Voltage Regulator

I'm having a same problem on my wife's ML320. I popped the alternator out, took it to Autozone and determined that possibly the voltage reg. is bad. My problem is none of the biggest local store offer voltage regulator by itself. I found some online but it takes forever to get here. Where did you get yours?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Well thanks everyone with all of the post. I ended up doing the job myself. It took me about 20 min to take the alternator out. Then i took it to a auto parts store to get it tested. He said the alternator is not producing DC power but everything else is working. So he recommend me to just get a voltage regulator and put it in. Take it back to get tested. So i am going to do that later today after work. Well see how my first DIY on my car ends up.
There's 2 electronics parts, the recitifier, and the voltage regulator.
The rectifier has the job of converting AC to DC not the regulator.

Why not open the phone book, look under Automotive,
then electrical sub-category. You should be able to find a place that can
replace everything, and do a proper rebuild, machine the commutator, clean it up etc., for no more than $200.
Got mine done for $150, including the gas to drive there.

Get' r done!

20 minutes? Impressive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
C230 Sport Coup: Thank You for posting that DIY about the alternator/regulator.

I just had this happen to me yesterday, and bought the regulator and am on my way to DIMyself... I bought a mint-condition, factory leased, 2001 S-430 (used, paid cash - in Stuttgart-German Spec) about 2 years ago and have been driving the autobahns here in Germany, and autostradas in Italy in total Mercedes Benz Bliss...

I stay away from the MB dealerships except to buy filters and pads (changing my oil and air filters, oil, brake pads). I've found that while the mechanics are down to earth good people, the dealership "Service Writers" service only arrogance and condescending attitudes when it comes to a person looking for a fair price. I think they are paid on profit or total revenue, something other than "service"...

No coffee, and you can forget dinner and a movie.. they move straight in for the money, and they expect you to enjoy it Baby!

Happy Motoring...

·
Registered
2002 C320
9 Posts
Help! (undervoltage)

Got the undervoltage consumer defective light. Local dealer replaced battery. Still getting undervoltage light. Dealer now says it's the alternator.

I've read that the module in the power seats may drain the battery. Yet, I hear a buzz/hum from the overhead control panel, and someone else posted that this meant it's defective and leaching the battery.

Would this be the cause (instead of the alternator)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts