Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, based on the always informative information on this site I've determined I need a voltage regulator for my alternator on my ML. The dealer has one for $50. Has anyone replaced one of these? What is involved? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2002 ML320
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I did do a search on voltage regulator and voltage regulator replacement and didn't find this, am I doing the search wrong or looking in the wrong place? Do I have to pull the alternator out or can i replace the regulator with it in place?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Disconnect the neg. battery cable and then remove the alternator. Then remove the rear plastic cover and the regulator is right there.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
43sqd, thank you for the info. This will be my first time working with the belt system of the ML. I'm thinking I will have to take tension off of the alternator by loosening the belt before I can remove the alternator, correct? I've done that on other cars, how do you do it on the ML? Again. thanks for your help. I picked up the new regulator at lunch. 003-154-52-06, the dealer gave it to me at cost, $45. Jeff

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
The below pdf shows how to remove the belt, but in your case you don't have to do that, nor do you have to remove the fan and shroud. Just take the tension off the belt and slide it off the alternator and then remove the alt. Here is a diagram and instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ML320
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
43sqd, thank you again. One question from the document,

anti-clockwise = counter-clockwise :)

·
BenzWorld Post Whore
10 E350 4MATIC
3,832 Posts
Oh man...

This procedure has been posted numerous times and could have been found with a 'SEARCH', but here it is again.
This procedure could've saved me atleast $400 last summer. BUMMER :(

·
Registered
2002 ML320
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you 43sqd and others on this great site. Sure enough, the replacement of the voltage regulator has the 104K ML up and charging like new again and for only $45! That was definatly the issue as I had a shop check and now I'm charging again. Thanks again!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts