Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep finding references in my manual to Voice Recognition with a footnote that it only applies if you have it. How do I know if I have it and what is it used for? I remember Roberta saying the phone does not use Voice Recognition so haven't a clue what else it would be for. Navigation?

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
Apparently MB uses generic instructions on similarly equiped vehicles. Some of the phone systems in the S and E class MBs have the voice command option. The older R170 SLKs had it as an option. I assumed that the new SLKs had it when I ordered my phone wiring option, but MB did not include the voice option in our SLKs as yet. I couldn't imagine them offering any phone system without it. Silly me!!! Well much to my chagrin, I have an $1800 car phone that has me pressing several buttons several times to bring up several menues in several places, forcing me top take my eyes off the road several times in order to make one phone call. It may be hands free, but it is the biggest distraction in car phone history. My Lincoln has the hands free phone option and all I have to do is press one button and voice the name I wish to call. It is a 1998 car. Why in heaven's name couldn't MB do as well. With all the other useless gadgetry that's included in this car, that, at least, would be something I could use.

There, I've now vented[xx(][:(!][:0][:(][V]

Roberta[:)]

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
Roberta - 4/5/2005 6:18 PM

Apparently MB uses generic instructions on similarly equiped vehicles. Some of the phone systems in the S and E class MBs have the voice command option. The older R170 SLKs had it as an option. I assumed that the new SLKs had it when I ordered my phone wiring option, but MB did not include the voice option in our SLKs as yet. I couldn't imagine them offering any phone system without it. Silly me!!! Well much to my chagrin, I have an $1800 car phone that has me pressing several buttons several times to bring up several menues in several places, forcing me top take my eyes off the road several times in order to make one phone call. It may be hands free, but it is the biggest distraction in car phone history. My Lincoln has the hands free phone option and all I have to do is press one button and voice the name I wish to call. It is a 1998 car. Why in heaven's name couldn't MB do as well. With all the other useless gadgetry that's included in this car, that, at least, would be something I could use.

There, I've now vented[xx(][:(!][:0][:(][V]

Roberta[:)]
Its called VCS ... or ... Linguatronic. If you didnt order it you wont get it. But at least there is some chance you might still be able to install it.

·
Registered
slk 350
116 Posts
Roberta:

I sympathize and agree. Fortunately I was steered away from the MB cell phone by my salesman who has more integrity than his GM might like.

I think this is a German thing, since my other car, a Phaeton, has tons of gee-whiz technology, but has an antiquated GPS, no voice recognition, no integrated phone, no aux audio for Ipod, no satellite radio. Look at the mess BMW made of its iDrive. My previous Audi A6 had lights that wouldn't even shut off automatically. In contract, when I test drove the Acura RL, its voice-recognition, noise cancellation, real-time traffic updates all integrated seamlessly into the driving experience.

In my opinion, the German engineers seem to be adding pieces of gadgetry while the Japanese include technology in their consideration of overall design and driving experience. I think the poor integration of electronics also accounts for much of the recent decline in reliability in German cars.

Having said all this, my garage score is currently Germany 2 Japan 0, so obviously there are more important factors than technology integration.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
Thanks, Phat Cat.

Miroj, You can't order the VCS in the US. I mistakenly thought the system had it as standard. The old SLK did have it as an option. My dealer said he would let me know if and when it might be available. For now it is not an option. The phone itself has Voice activation (V600) Just seems a shame that they were so vague about the VCS. Live and learn.

Roberta

The phone works OK, Just a PITA to use. I do love everything else about the car, though. [:)]

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
Roberta - 4/5/2005 10:07 PM

Thanks, Phat Cat.

Miroj, You can't order the VCS in the US. I mistakenly thought the system had it as standard. The old SLK did have it as an option. My dealer said he would let me know if and when it might be available. For now it is not an option. The phone itself has Voice activation (V600) Just seems a shame that they were so vague about the VCS. Live and learn.

Roberta

The phone works OK, Just a PITA to use. I do love everything else about the car, though. [:)]
That must be really annoying. I would like to see what happens when someone puts in the E-Class module. It bet it works. You would need Euro stalks to do it.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
Look at the manuel for the Microphone button to see what it looks like. I would expect on R171 it would be a button in the stearing wheel. I have a stalk beind the steeting wheel on the right side, it shows a symbolic micophone with an arrow pointing at the driver and a microphone with a slash and an arrow in the opposite direction. Pull it in to activate and push away to cancell.
I bought the car used and discovered I have it by randomly trying it. To use the telephone make sure the cell phone is connected in while in its' cradle. It also contols CD and radio. Try it and see what happens.

Cheers[8D]

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
TLC 320 - 4/6/2005 12:19 PM

Look at the manuel for the Microphone button to see what it looks like. I would expect on R171 it would be a button in the stearing wheel. I have a stalk beind the steeting wheel on the right side, it shows a symbolic micophone with an arrow pointing at the driver and a microphone with a slash and an arrow in the opposite direction. Pull it in to activate and push away to cancell.
I bought the car used and discovered I have it by randomly trying it. To use the telephone make sure the cell phone is connected in while in its' cradle. It also contols CD and radio. Try it and see what happens.

Cheers[8D]
So what you are saying is that voice control (Linguatronic) is available in the USA ?

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
miroj - 4/6/2005 10:26 AM

TLC 320 - 4/6/2005 12:19 PM

Cheers[8D]
So what you are saying is that voice control (Linguatronic) is available in the USA ?
Apparently not on the 171 in the USA.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Confusion reigns...

What TLC320 was talking about is the microphone and buttons to active handsfree phone. That is on the SLK350 in the USA.

But... the actual question was on Voice Reco (Linguatronic).

This is the car (computer) recognizing voice commands for dialing or for Nav, etc.

SLK350 does not have that (at least not in USA).

·
Registered
SLK 350, Mars Red
9 Posts
Seems to me when I was first researching roadsters that voice recognition was listed as an option for the SLK on MB's US website. Then suddenly it was taken off. I haven't found it to be that great anyway on my wife's E320 and there are a lot of misunderstandings between the "lady in the dash" and me. I wonder if their taking it off the options list indicates an impending update to the hardware/software?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
bloflin - 4/6/2005 5:15 PM

Confusion reigns...

What TLC320 was talking about is the microphone and buttons to active handsfree phone. That is on the SLK350 in the USA.

But... the actual question was on Voice Reco (Linguatronic).

This is the car (computer) recognizing voice commands for dialing or for Nav, etc.

SLK350 does not have that (at least not in USA).
If you have enough time and money then I would send a message to MBENZNL and see if its on the European lists. If so they may be able to graft the W211 module since the head units belong to the same family.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
I have a seperate manuel for Voice Recognition, it came sealed with a code number on the seal. My SLK320 was orignally picked up at the factory in Germany then transported to the US (by the previous owner). It does operate the cell phone, dials by spoken name or numbers hands free; programs phone book by voice names; controls radio and CD changing radio bands/stations/tracts, programing stations into memeory, giveing stations names (such as saying "Jazz station" and having that station be selected). [8D]
I will try to remember to bring the manuel with me tomorrow and post some specifics if that will help.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
TLC, Your older R170 has the VCS. The New R171s do not have it so your manual will not help us to activate something we simply do not have. Thanks for trying.

Roberta

·
Registered
5 Posts
TLC320 or anyone else who can help.

I know this was an old post but if you have a VCS manual it could help with my problem.

I have a 2002 SLK230 with the integrated phone/Radio/CD etc. I just bought on eBay a Timeport CDMA cell phone which seems to work well. We can dial and receive calls thru the dash keypad and the "stalk" on the steering column.

We discovered, quite accidently, that we can change the Radio Station or CD by toggling the stalk on the steering column and saying aloud the radio frequency or track number we wish to hear. Very convenient features.

One would assume we would also have control capabilities for the phone also, but I don't know if this is true or not. If the system is capable of voice dialing, what is the procedure or protocol. Do you say the number at the beep, say "dial" "call" or what?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Rick Lancaster

1 - 16 of 16 Posts