Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
S500 & SL560
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used S500 with the COMAND 2.5 system installed. Unfortunately I can't find reference in any of the manuals as to how this system may be accessed via voice.

I have figured out every function (I believe) by making use of the help command - except for one really simple one: I am unable to switch to CD. I can use "Radio", "Tape" and "Navigation" to switch between the other functions, but it doesn't like "CD", "Compact Disc", "CD Player" or "CD Changer". The response I get is either "Please repeat", "Phone book is empty" or "Device not present".

The CD Changer is, of course, present and can be conrolled via voice once it is selected. My problem is in selecting it when I'm currently listening to the radio. Any tips? Perhaps someone knows which manual I should look for to find this information.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,893 Posts
I just upgraded my first-generation voice control module (phone only) to a second-generation module (controlling phone, radio, CD, and tape functions). I have exactly the same problem that you describe - unfortunately, I don't have an answer. All but the CD are voice-selectable; and once selected (including the CD player, manually), the available features function fine. Anyone find a cure for this?

2000 S-500, COMAND 2.5, "D" Nav.

·
Registered
S430, SLK 230
5 Posts
Hi,

My 2001 S430 voice command works just fine with the CD just by saying:

"cd one",

or

"cd three"

but I find you leave a tiny pause between saying CD then the number.

With a bit of practice it works fine, and assuming you've the got the CD tray loaded of course!

Hope it helps,

Mike[:)]

·
Registered
MB CL500(C215);SL55(R129), SL63(R230)
472 Posts
Hi!

Has anybody tried to ask for "help". ? [:D]
At least in the german version i can definitely confirm that it lists all possible comands.
(since 2nd generation Voice Control)

Cheers,

Frank

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,893 Posts
Thanks for your input - however, what I cannot do is say "CD" (or CD with anything like"player, "changer") and get the COMAND unit to bring up the CD screen. It will do this for the other components.

However, if I manually select CD, I can then control the CD functions by voice - i.e., change discs or tracks.

I suspect it is a coding problem, since I am using a MY 2001 VCM with a MY 2000 COMAND unit. The two things may address components in the fiber optic ring in different sequences.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Mackem.

Thats interessing. In the german version you can say either say CD or CD <#>. Both works.

Since there is no certainly no dialect problem with the word CD my only advice is to check the dictionary by using "help"

Hmm if it would be a coding problem of the Comand, the changer or Liguatronic would not even recognized...
You can check that if you like.
To enter diagnostic mode just switch into radio mode an hold 1+3+mute (if i remember correctly)simultanously.

Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
W220 S500 AMG
105 Posts
Skylaw - 12/8/2004 8:45 PM

Thanks for your input - however, what I cannot do is say "CD" (or CD with anything like"player, "changer") and get the COMAND unit to bring up the CD screen. It will do this for the other components.

However, if I manually select CD, I can then control the CD functions by voice - i.e., change discs or tracks.

I suspect it is a coding problem, since I am using a MY 2001 VCM with a MY 2000 COMAND unit. The two things may address components in the fiber optic ring in different sequences.
Skylaw
It's sounds like a software bug and/or possible version conflict between COMAND and newer VCS system.
My COMAND switches to CD screen whenever I use CD (or CD # ... ). I have a factory installed MY01 VCS.

[^]

One more thing that I accidentially discovered using my COMAND (D-Nav), that "Help" menu does not tells you about Navi at all. The only thing you can actually do (at least I can) is to switch to Navi screen by saying "Navigation"... Which is actually cool! [8D]

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi.

The advice with the Software is a good one.
For the usuage of the newer VR-Module the Navi should start up with the MB sign on black Background. (eq> MY01 update)

If required, the update is easily done by your MB dealer (by CD, duration appr 45 min)

Cheers, Frank

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,893 Posts
Frank, thanks. I have been trying to find out the current firmware update is for COMAND 2.5 in the U.S. for weeeks now. Dealer service rep (and parts, through whom I tried to order a disc) are no help. I'll have to corral the telematics tech.

I would love to replace my "Do Not Become Distracted" splash screen with the Mercedes logo. Hope the U.S. update does that. European updates won't work on U.S. COMAND units.

DMI+RY - Thanks for your advice as well. I tried your "undocumented" callup of the Nav screen with my MY '01 VCM, and it worked on mine as well - despite no mention of it in the help menu. I didn't think the '00-'02 COMAND units did that - but my '00 (with "D" nav) surely does! I had tried it before saying "Nav" (as it says on the button) but not "Navigation." Speaking the whole word does the trick.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It might help to check this out: WIS document af82.85-p-6000-01f

CD is not listed as a sparepart but as tool:

W230 589 00 22 00 is the order# for the update CD

This is at least for the european Version, not sure if it works for the US one too....

Merry christmas...

Frank

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,893 Posts
Thank you, Frank - that tells me where to look. Merry Christmas to you as well.

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
Skylaw - keep us updated of your progress coz i've not yet been able to find and upgrade VCM for my car and am very interested to see if you've resolved your issues.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,893 Posts
tcflya - 12/27/2004 10:46 PM

Skylaw - keep us updated of your progress coz i've not yet been able to find and upgrade VCM for my car and am very interested to see if you've resolved your issues.
My dealer's "telematics tech" was extremely uncomfortable about updating the firmware, alleging that Mercedes instructs (frequently) to do this only if told to do so, and warning of having to replace the entire COMAND unit if anything went wrong. What this told me is that if there was a problem, he could not recover from it. Since that established the level of his knowledge, I did not have him do the update.

These were the same folks who flashed an update for an audio dropout problem and wound up having to replace the NAV unit.

I'll just get along with manually selecting the CD for the time being, until I find someone more at ease with the system. My car is out of warranty and I don't need to spend $5000 because of that level of knowledge in the service department.

·
Registered
'2000 S500
4 Posts
Skylaw,
Any progress on the firmware update?
I also have a MY2000 S-500...mine was manufactured in July '99.
I'm in the process of duplicating your effort with the MIKBOX with the Motorola v710, along with upgrading the VCM, compensator, and antenna switcher. All the parts should arrive by Friday (hopefully).

I've been using your pictures/notes you posted as a guide...it's really great to know I'm not alone in this journey to stay current with technology. I'm really greatful that you are sharing this information for the good of MANKIND!

I also want to upgrade/update my firmware on my COMAND. I, fortunatley, have an extended 100K warranty that does cover the COMAND. It's the RepairMaster Ultimate package...but I'm not aware of how to do the upgrade...or if the dealer attempts and fails, if that will be an acceptable covered repair. Any advice?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,893 Posts
I still haven't located anyone locally who was comfortable with doing the upgrade, though I have discussed it with some folks - so I still haven't done it.

gmcamp has been doing the MikBox upgrade, Timeport install, and VCM upgrade as well. He has had some problems that I think are related to his version coding. You might check the string at http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1199021 - I have some screen shots of my current coding that could be helpful to you in anticipating problems before you install your equipment.

The only thing I can't do is switch to CD by voice. All other functions work, plus being able to call up the Nav screen as Dmitry discovered. I don't want to risk $5K to reppace the COMAND or trace other problems if the update doesn't work. For that, I'll just switch manually.

Before you have anyone do a firmware update, you will need to check your warranty coverage. If there is a malfunction in a standard Mercedes setup, and they did an upgrade to correct it, you should be covered. If you tell them to do the update, with no malfunction, or after having made modifications, a malfunction subsequent to the upgrade may not be covered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts