Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1967 250SE, 2004 E500, 2005 C320, 2006 SL500
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I have recently installed on my '04 W211 the Voice Control Module and the Bluetooth puck (B678 758 55). I got them from a fellow forum member that sold his '03 W211. They were working fine on his car.
I installed first the VCM (A220 820 62 85) and it worked from the beginning except the Navigation when I get "Navigation not available" in the speakers.
It is indeed a PN for the W220 but the wiring diagrams have been researched extensively by techs that helped the former owner and it appears to be the same for W211 plus it worked for him before.
It works with the CD changer and the CD except when I have a DVD with MP3's in it when the VCM doesn't acknowledge there is a CD there. It works perfect with the radio and I can store names for stations and call them by names or frequency.
I didn't mind the fact that the voice control wouldn't call up the navigation because there are no other further voice commands in navigation anyway, and I didn't mind the fact that it wouldn't recognize the MP3 disk.
Then I installed the BT puck and since the car never had a phone before I had to take it to a local indy to have it version coded.
Everything works, it downloads the phonebook from the phone, I can voice-dial numbers but I can not store names in the Voice Phonebook. It tells me "Device not available" when I give it the command "Store Name". However, when I give the command "List phonebook" it tells me "Voice phonebook empty" as if it has one but it just won't let me fill it. Also the fact that I can store radio station names to be called later proves that there is a memory in the VCM that works.
Anybody has an idea?
The local dealer techs and indy techs are clueless. I had to bring them the Star bulletin that I downloaded from the forum to version code the phone system.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, This is an 8-year-old thread.... and 8 years later I have a very similar issue. However, for my 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon, voice control simply doesn't work. I replaced the original VC module as a test, installed the VC stalk on the steering wheel column - followed the exact instructions from the Star Bulletin that describes how to retrofit the phone system with VC. So, I'm stumped. I mean, the module is plugged in, and I could not find any fuses or anything else to add or check to get the VC working, and no version coding was needed in the star bulletin that specifically mentions VC version coding. The iphone connection with the Bluetooth puck works pretty well though!
Any thoughts fellow MB masters? Koenigstiger?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Skylaw,
I would think the same too, but there is no beep sound when the stalk is pulled, no response at all, actually. If the stereo is playing, it does not stop so that my voice can be picked up for the voice command to be heard. my old 2003 C240 did this. Also, if it is the same microphone in the car that my iphone uses via blue tooth: I can make calls and the internal hands-free mics in the car works great. Any other thoughts here? Is there a connector or fuse that is not mentioned in the star bulletin that needs attention?

·
Registered
2006 E350 Sport
67 Posts
Years ago I installed VC on my E350, it came as a kit. So there was more to it than just installing the VC control box and the steering wheel stalk. I see you used the Star Bulletin as a reference so can we assume that you installed all the necessary parts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting... i thought there was somehow something more to it... yes, i used the exact star bulletin for my year and model, and the main part of that bulletin was for the mobile phone retrofit, which in my case works flawlessly. Its just the VC that is not working at all, according to the instructions. Any thoughts there?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,872 Posts
If you car did nt have voice control before, you may have to version code the system to recognize the feature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Skylaw... i thought the same about version coding... however nowhere in the phone/VC retrofit star bulletin was this mentioned. It did have other things that needed to be version coded, but no mention to voice control. If there is a path to add this version coding in the car’s computers, i would very much like to know what it is. I can take that info to my indie, and switch it on. When i did this addition for my 2003 c240, i had to add the vc control unit, snap in the switch handle into the steering column AND add a fuse. Nowhere in my 2004 e320 can i find a place to add a fuse just for vc. And the control unit must be ok along the MOST ring because its plugged in, and all other MOST components are working... HELP!?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the note, Tiffany. I am not sure if SDS is in the list in the AGW most ring settings.
Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions before I head to my indie on a hope and a prayer here?

peace,
Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts