Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 112 vito
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a spare wheel and its been knocking about in the back, decided to put it underneath the van where it belongs but found one of the 2 nuts holding the bracket up and in place is some weird security job i reckon
the tire iron that came with it does nothing, rang myy merc man and he had heard nothing about it.
so it actually looks like the mercedes sign but in relief, the outside is perfectly rounded so cant get a grip with tire iron or vicegrips..checked the actual tires and t5hey all have the standard wheel nut...
Any ideas?

cheers
simon

·
Registered
2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
1,423 Posts
Hi ya, you do undo it with the wheel nut spanner and it should fit it no problems, the reason the wheel was in the back is possibly because the previoous owner couldnt undo it either at a guess. There should be 2 nuts side by side, the one you only undo a small amount and the other you undo completely and you then insert the other end of the "tyre iron" wheel nut spanner to you and me and lift the rack and push to one side and lower it while pulling it towards you. No one said it was easy but once you are used to it it is very effective at what it does

Cheers Martin

P.S just a thought you have got the right wheel nut spanner, just look inide it, it should have 2 levels, the first is a conventional wheel nut and the second is triangular in shape (i hope that makes sence

·
Registered
2003 112 vito
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i must have the wrong wheel nut spanner..theres nothing inside it..should these nuts be on the wheels too..previous owner may have taken them off...do you think i could pick one up in a merc dealer?
or any iddea how i can just take it off (angle grinder) and replace it with a normal bolt?
cheers
simon

·
Registered
2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
1,423 Posts
Hi ya, the first part of the spanner is the same as the wheel nuts 19mm i think, then further up inside it becomes a triangle socket. I cant see any reason why you shouldnt either weld a 17/19mm nut on to the end of the bolt and then undue it or replace it all together. You will still need a small bar to put in the end of the wheel carrier to help raise it up because it is real heavy with the wheel in. Good luck

Martin

·
Registered
Vito 112CDI
147 Posts
I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago...

You should have the wheel iron with a sort of merc sign/triangle inside the socket - I didn't...badun!
Managed to get it off with a pipe wrench, but have since found the right wheel iron in a scrappies - what a find!

FUZZ

·
Registered
2003 112 vito
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep mine is defo the wrong one, as i just bought a new one from the merc dealer for 20 euros! hopefully my last purchace from them
sick of the wheel knocking about so nearley worth it
heres to hoping i wont have to change it ever:)

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,409 Posts
the wheelbrace is a standard merc part and mk1 vito wheelbraces are cheaply available from breakers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You are right, but in Romania they are hard to find and they cost from 50 GBP up...so that is why I posted the "cheaper" solution

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,409 Posts
a cheap solution is a tyre fitter with a "locking nut" remover......... these are sockets with an internal spiral similar to a stud remover or "easy out".

the remover sockets are easy to buy on ebay and you then need a garage/fitter with an air "hammer" gun.

most tyre fitters should have the right equipment as people continually lose the locking nut adapter.
----------
ps I bought a remover set of 3 sockets for £15 on ebay (laser brand)

·
Registered
2001 Y REG MERCEDES VITO 110 CDI 2.2 DIESEL
2 Posts
regarding triangle spare wheel tool

Hi folks

can anyone tell me were I can buy a spare wheel removal tool for the Mercedes Vito 110cdi
van. It appears to need a socket tool with a triangle fitting and a normal bolt fitting.
Trying to remove the sparewheel and totally remove the under van spare wheel holder as I would prefer to store my spare wheel in the back of my van to keep it dry and for easier access. Please can anyone advise or help i need to get spare changed but cannot seem to remove it.

I live in Cornwall in the Uk.

Cheers in advance

Dave :smile

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
about £10 from Mercedes dealer (car or van)....

give them your vin and they'll make sure its the right one (there are 2 types)

if you phone ciceleyparts (on the net) they will give the price... AND they're open NOW (24hr)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts