Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 vito 112 cdi
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gudday from Australia, this is my first time posting on a forum anywhere so be gentle!

I have a 2002 112 cdi Vito and it's making an unusual sound.

When on the freeway travelling at 90 - 100 km/h under load, it makes a droming noise coming from the engine area. This sounds like an exhaust problem but has been checked by a mechanic and he couldn't find anything :( , and neither could the Mercedes Benz dealers workshop previously :mad: .

Anyone have any ideas to help me, or is there other information I can provide to help with a diagnosis? :confused:

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
108CDI
31 Posts
had similar problem more like a knocking sound at idle with air con on. a high speeds sound like a howling noise . it was a siezed alternator pulley had to replace the lot costly because it has an internal clutch . about $280 to replace from dealer. check also turbo intake hose makes quiet a loud droning noise, but you will notice a slight power lose.
hopes this helps

·
Registered
118 Posts
Does The noise happen in every gear ? Is the noise engine speed related or only vehicle speed related ? If I was to have a guess I would say that the air filter housing mounts are missing or the cover ot on correctly. Have you had it serviced lately ie has someone been near the air filter ?

·
Registered
2002 vito 112 cdi
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the noise is engine related. at 2250 rpm in second and third gear the droan is slite, but in fourth eg: driving on freeway on level ground slite droan. when you come to a slite hill it becomes louder. no engine power is lost.

·
Registered
108CDI
31 Posts
seems noise is still there , if the noise sounds a little louder at slower speeds .try
driving in a straight line then do a wide turn on open road then do it the other way.
if noise disappears on one side , you may need new wheel bearings, worn wheel bearings can make a very simmilar noise. really worn bearings make a grinding noise. worth a check

hope this helps

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,388 Posts
mine was the drive shafts - probably the cv - but it was as cheap to get a new pair of shafts and wheel bearings - and took less time.

if this route is taken , be sure to remember the intermediate shaft bearing its the worst bit but only costs a few quid.

I got shafts on ebay and bearings from merc dealer - it was the cheapest route and only took a couple of hours start to finish (sat on floor with set of pullers and big hammer)

·
Registered
2007 W221 Brabus D6 III S320 CDi LWB, 2003 W220 500LWB & 1999 W202 240 Elegance Auto
168 Posts
Mine was the same after I changed the air fillter, the two clips under the lip of the wing had not connected & caused it to boom at certain speeds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I've got a 113 vito and my mechanic is Mercstar in Brunswick rd just near the cnr of Sydney rd in Brunswick. It's run buy Swedes and is very good at thinking outside the square and are affordable.Hey they sound too good to be true but so far I am happy wiyh their work. Cheers Andy

PS : Where the hell can I find rear seats in our town?

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi i have a vito 113 auto 2003 model, it has a grinding noise when i slightly turn the wheel also when i travel at about 80 - 90 kms it kind of sticks when it grinds it almost feels like the wheels are catching so i get mini whiplash, have had the cv joints changed but to no avail any ideas on what this could be have only done 107,000 kms
annie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does The noise happen in every gear ? Is the noise engine speed related or only vehicle speed related ? If I was to have a guess I would say that the air filter housing mounts are missing or the cover ot on correctly. Have you had it serviced lately ie has someone been near the air filter ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts