Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Vito
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vito van 110 cdi x reg central locking s driving me mad. the front doors seem ok but the rears are never in sync, the drivers side side door is the worst. quite often I can't lock the van. I can hear the van locking then unlocking, it is driving me mad help please

·
Registered
69 Posts
Me too, I have a 2003 Vito 108D Traveliner & the locks have started playing up. I have Cleaned all the sensors so the contacts are good but I lock the Van (either on Key turn or pressing button on fob) & then it trys to lock & then immediately unlocks. So I am having to leave it sometimes unlocked as there is no override.

Help also please if anyone knows what else I can check.

·
Registered
Vito 112 CDI 2002
204 Posts
I had something similar, I could get it lock by pressing the central locking twice. So it would lock and unlock and then lock, unlock and lock.

To fix it, I tried cleaning contacts on the door but that didn't do anything as that is not the problem. In all the actually locking mechanisms there are little switches which tell the van that a door is closed. As the door grabs the metal hooks, it presses the switch. In mine it was the rear tailgate one that was not being pressed when it was shut. I tried to clean contacts and align the lock but it still did it. So in the end I just cut the wires and joined them together so it always thinks it is closed. The only down side is I would not know if the tailgate was open, the plus side is, my central locking now works!

I hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That does make sense as I've had problems with the Tailgate before where it just would not lock & the catch wouldn't click.

Do you know which wires I join or will it be obvious? If you could upload a photo that would be great.

So if it thinks its always shut I assume I can still unlock it?

·
Registered
Vito 112 CDI 2002
204 Posts
Hi

It makes no difference to locking or unlocking.

There is a plug that goes to the locking mechanism on each lock. On the rear mine has a black wire and a (red and white). You can test it by putting a wire across the two terminals in the plug as that would be the same as the switch being pressed. If that sorts it out then you know what the problem is. If you try it on the sliding doors you will have to make sure they are closed so the door contacts touch. On the rear it doesn't matter.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As soon as the weather improves I'll get onto that & try it, if it works that will be brilliant.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I took off the panelling & unplugged the switch Unit. This has a little switch which obviously moves up & down to tell when tailgate is shut. I took this off & bent it so it would connect better but I couldn't get it to fit back in, was really tight & couldn't see. Eventually I left it out & just joined the wires up with some old wire & connectors. Hey Presto it has locked every time so far since I did it, lets hope its cured it.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2001 Vito 110CDi travelliner
15 Posts
I HAVE the same problem. But I bridged the wires and it locked perfectly ONCE! Then it wouldn't work again and it was back to the double press on the key to force it to lock! I like playing with the electrics on cars and I've even tested, removed and reset the microswitch but nothing works!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh dear, sorry to hear that. If I was you I would also thoroughly clean & sand the side door connectors as well as these get very grubby & can prevent doors locking.

I didn't realise you could double click the Key Fob to force it to lock, I actually left my Van unlocked a few times as I didn't know this. Cheers.

·
Registered
2001 Vito 110CDi travelliner
15 Posts
In the end I took all the door panels off the back doors and made three loops to bypass the switches even though the switches were testing as working. Now the van locks on one press and the alarm sets itself.
I might get new micro switches as some point if having them bypassed becomes a problem if it's not a problem I will leave them as they are.

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,393 Posts
the actuator sequence for a 638

from experience... if you get a problem, get close to the vehicle and operate single and double clicks repeatedly....

the system seems to get "stuck" in its memory of what its done...... if you also operate the dash switch with the ignition off or at position 2 as well as using the keyfob, it will get lost partway through its cycles (bloody silly vitos)

I tried a 116 the other weekend (the large 2+ltr cdi 639 not a 638 (explain that)) and it too had this silliness if you did everything out of sequence several times (I like to play)

malcolm

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

That worked for me, was having trouble with the back and side doors not locking, i could hear them unlocking ?
Anyway this worked fine, still.. not sure what the problem was :-( back door Lock maybe ??

Mark..

·
Registered
2006 Vito 109 compact.
196 Posts
When my w639 had locking issues the first time it was down to the sliding door contactors, I repaired them but the fault soon reappeared, so I replaced both sides (contacts and pins for both doors).

This was fine for 12 months or more before I started getting it again. After stripping down all the doors to look at the locks I found the rear one had a broken bit of plastic (from the lock itself) that was stopping the rear door from locking and making all the rear doors stay unlocked. Once this lock was replaced my doors were cured!

Regards
Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

It makes no difference to locking or unlocking.

There is a plug that goes to the locking mechanism on each lock. On the rear mine has a black wire and a (red and white). You can test it by putting a wire across the two terminals in the plug as that would be the same as the switch being pressed. If that sorts it out then you know what the problem is. If you try it on the sliding doors you will have to make sure they are closed so the door contacts touch. On the rear it doesn't matter.

Hope this helps.
I have the same problem with sliding doors. Maybe You could tell me which sliding doors contacts I should merge (to imitate closed doors) or I still need to remove sliding door panel and look for Your mentioned wires?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2006 Merc Vito has 4 wires into the rear door locking mechanism. Red, black, green and white. You will need to connect red and green wires, door locks perfectly and open door light in dash is not illuminated. Initially tested by putting wire across terminals and figured out that green and red turned the open door light off in the dash.

·
Registered
2008 V639 Long
13 Posts
I just used a paperclip in the tailgate and side door plugs. They always show as shut and the only problem is the van autolocks if I don't open a front door. The advantage is I can unlock the van open the back or side door and put something in and walk away, 40 seconds later it just locks back up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I have a 2005 115 CDI W639 van. I had a similar problem where only the front doors would lock, the sliding doors and rear wouldn't.
I bought a second hand lock for the rear and fitted it ( ran diagnostics and it pointed to the rear lock) . It worked for a moment then nothing. I thought it had to be a wiring issue.
Before I started checking the wiring, I pushed a screw driver into the lock the same way it would into the catch.
I pressed the lock button and it worked. I did that a few times and it worked every time.
I then adjusted the catch forward to ensure the lock engaged properly and it resolved the issue ( note : the doors would close, but the micro switch mentioned was not being triggered to register the door was actually closed)
I told a friend what I did as he had the same issue and it worked.
I also find that sometimes when I open the one sliding door and close it again, the doors wouldn't lock. This happens mainly when parked on an angle.
When the van is on a level surface again, it will engage properly and all the doors would lock. I think the alignment of this door a bit out somehow.
I hope this long winded share will assist you and everyone else experiencing the same thing resolve the problem ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts