Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought mine as a project. I knew it was gonna be a bugger. I wanted a small van and couldn't afford a T5 hahahahahah!

I don't think they are that bad tbh. Not once you know all the potential pitfalls!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had 2 vitos now both 639s and never many issues with them,heck a guy at work has one as a back up van(638) with over 6 hundred thousand kms and goes well.Like any vechile all have issues,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i know, was having a bad vito day, it seems as soon as i sort one issue i find two more :confused:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
consider your blessings

the pile of cr#p I got recently has more than a few "niggles......... such as WHY have all the switches been removed.......... and what wassock drills 1/2inch holes through the roof for a roof bar that doesn't keep rain out.

oh, and the exhaust that broke off on the way home and every lock deciding to need a different key and then packing in.

ok my fault, bought online and after 9hrs to get to it by train etc I was barely able to think, let alone check it over......... too much painkiller too little light and it was p###ing down.

still I only needed the shell as mine was eaten by the battery freezing last winter and eating the floor and chassis members.

don't complain...... come and look at me and laugh your socks off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That`s funny Malcolm I`m still having issues, I had to change the fuel pipes from the filter and from the vac pump, any way I just couldn`t be bothered to do it after all the `little` jobs I have already done I admitted defeat and in my 20 Years motoring I paid a garage to sort the thing!! picked it up tonight and now it runs BUT EDC is on glow plugs light is on and limp mode enabled captain fook bugger ETC spring to mind. Then I just had a thought when I towed it to the said garage the MAF and Diesel/water sensor on the filter were disconnected do you reckon as I had the ignition on for the tow, this would put it into limp mode? also the battery was off for about a week and I seem to remember reading somewhere they don`t like this much either? have You any thoughts on this? maybe I`ll ask the forum
Cheers Jeff

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
yes both those things could cause the infamous limp mode, for some reason the newer machines don't like batteries to be disconnnected or to have sensors "on" when the engine isn't running, the only response I've ever been officially given by mb is to get it booked in and setup on a star terminal (good way to take your money) I'll stick to the old 108d without ANY computerised bits.

Last time I used a garage was to service my stretch landrover on the day before the silver jubilee (1977)

I was working flat out doing 3 "discos" and clubs a day (lunch, evening and nightclub) plus a silver jubilee ball for which I hired a load of theatre spots and a couple of street parties.

I got it serviced, collected the lights and did the ball at the local town hall in chorley...... then I returned the lights and and took 2000watts of sound gear to the agent at 4am on Manchester m62 services and drove home for breakfast (first street party would be at 1pm)

I got to Chorley Ordnance factory and the engine seized so I walked 8miles home, had a buttie and got a lift from my father to get a hire van (I was panicking by now)

When we got back to the landrover, all I could see was police fire and blue lights, followed by a lot of men carrying machine guns.

I got to the guy in charge to say I had a couple of gigs and was getting late but had come to tow the landrover home with the hire van.

He exploded at me and gradually cracked with laughter.

It hadn't occured to me that I was outside the Ordnance gates...... They made bullets and Missiles (its where the bouncing bombs were made) and my Landrover had Explosive stickers on it, 200 detonators on the seat and my box of gunpowder and flare powders in the back (easily seen)

I hadn't thought about it as I was in panic when it seized and I just left it.............. I'd brought half of lancashire to a halt!!!!!! they helped me tow it home and I did the gigs........... next week I stripped it and found a load of cotton fibres clogging the oil-ways.......... I've never been to a garage since but did get very friendly with the local MOD bomb disposal mob........... apparantly another 10 minutes and they would have blown it up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
HaHa That`s put a smile on my pained vito face :)
Yea I did look at old school vitos being the son of a farmer I get `proper` diesels way of thinking, what I don`t get is the 108cdi is only 78bhp so what is a 108d? is it worth the hassle?
like the z1100 by the way I did a very nice chop and strech job on one of those a few years ago (started as the custom one) ended up a foot and a half longer by the time i had finished.
never had a problem with bikes maybe should go back?
I am lucky in a way tho as my work run merc lorrys and the mechanic is spot on got me all my bits reduced through the company and all genuine, he also owns a star machine so I shall be paying him a visit on monday.
just need it this weekend and the thought of going out there to drive it is not pleasing at all ( I live in dorset and it`s all hills around here) no fun in limp mode

1 - 9 of 9 Posts