Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Vito 108CDi 2003
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just purchased my first Vito, a 2003 108CDi as a project. So far it has lived up to expectations and already broken down once, requiring a new fuel pump. The more I dig into it the more skeletons I have discovered about its past!

It is fitted with a nice set of TSW Blade alloys in 17x7.5 trim and 225 55 17 tyres. My concern is that the tyres should be 225 50 17 to give the correct speedo reading and the wheel offset is 35ET which should be 45 or 50.

My question is, should I be concern about either of these two facts as a priority or should I just wait until the current set of tyres wears out? The van will not be used fully loaded and only as a day van.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
Mercedes Vito 110CDi auto
54 Posts
Hi
If you use this link you can compare the size of tyres you have to the ideal ones, and it will tell you the effect on the speedo.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

In terms of offsets, the lower the number offset the further out from the van they will stick (i.e. et 50 will be in the arches and et35 will stick outside of them, make sense?) If the van will never be loaded up and you're running stock suspension you should be OK in theory but old bill don't like anything too far outside the arches. For one you could spit gravel up into traffic behind you, and you could also damage your own paint work too.

One thing you haven't mentioned is the tyres load rating. As the V class is pretty heavy you should also keep an eye out to make sure your tyres are safely rated to carry the appropriate weight vehicle.

This all may sound as dull as dishwater but you asked for advice. Loads of people probably run different size wheels and tyres, with different loadings too and that's up to them. It's all good until something goes horribly wrong I suppose. I wouldn't worry too much about offset as long as they aren't daft, but the loading would be worth keeping an eye on. The profile difference (I didn't check the calculator for your example) will probably only show a very small difference so once again, not a biggie.

Good luck with the van. I had a couple of niggles with mine and I may have more too, but I love it so far and think the value for money, looks and brand really take some beating.

·
Registered
Vito 108CDi 2003
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mountain, thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed response.

My 638 has only just passed its MOT with the current wheels and tyres fitted so it must be ok from a legal point of view. They do stick out slight but no more than other owners running 8.5" does. If I decide to lower it, I will probably need to change to a different offset first. As for the tyres, there is a 3% difference in with the 55 profile (what is on it now) and a 0.43% with the 50 giving a 2.6mph lower reading at 60 compared with a 0.4mph with the 50 profile.

I will probably change them as they wear out to the 50 profile but I might run 50 front and 55 rear for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have AMG 17" 7.5 front 8.5 rear ET 37 IIRC and 205/50/17 front 225/45/17 rear both extra load ,van drives as good as it ever did with standard steels too

·
Registered
Vito 108CDi 2003
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, very useful. I have decided to change the front (for the moment) to 225 50 17 to get the speedo correct. I went for a set of Kumho Ecsta le sport - so far so good.

·
Registered
2003 vito traveliner
27 Posts
i have just bought ml 19" for mine there fitted with 255x50 tyres but there getting changed to 225x40's cant wait:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts