1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Vito 110CDi auto
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Single seat to twin seat swap

Hi Guys
I've read a few threads on here about the swap over, and it seemed easy enough............until I couldn't even get the bloody seat to tip forwards!! The passenger seat has two levers on the side nearest the door, but neither of them seem to do much at all, even though I can hear some kind of mechanical movement when they are raised (what are they supposed to do by the way?)

Without this tipping mechanism I know that I may have my work cut out, and especially without damaging the single seat frame or any of the important gubbins below it.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. I have searched on this forum and Google for pictures and PDF's but without much success.

Cheers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Vito 112CDI 99', BMW 325TDS Touring 96', Suz' SV650S 03', RS50 01' big bore, RS125 00'
26 Posts
Hey!

You need to slide the seat forward and take out the screws in the seat rails then slide it back and take out the remaining screws then you'll have access to remove the base.

Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lee

That's what I did this morning and so far so good. I think it was the advice about tipping the seat forwards that disorientated me :)

I still don't know what the levers on the side are for.

·
Registered
Vito 112CDI 99', BMW 325TDS Touring 96', Suz' SV650S 03', RS50 01' big bore, RS125 00'
26 Posts
the levers are to move up and down and tilt back and foward the part of the seat where you actually sit.

The tipping is only on the double passenger seat, that info is a step to far on the change over ;-)

Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All done now and it took about two hours start to finish, so I'm quite happy with that. It was damned heavy and so awkward on my own though. A combination of being heavy, lots of sensitive components to avoid and four awkward to reach bolts certainly made it interesting.

Thanks again for the advice :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great, when I removed my seats I was also very surprised by their weight!

You were lucky though one of my counter nuts in the chassis was not gripping and therefore the bolt was just spinning freely. After many days of WD40 and attacking it with an impact wrench it finally came out, phew....

If you need any more info for dismantling I can supply with the MB documentation, just ask.

Cheers

·
Registered
vito 110cdi, mini cooper sport, toyota hilux, toyota surf.
68 Posts
i did my seat conversion the mingham way!
cut the old seats out with a 9inch grinder(also cutting my cpu wiring loom) and weld a pair of civic type r bucket seats in.
have enough space to get into the back of the van between the front seats.

i would recommend the swap to anyone.

·
Registered
vito 110cdi, mini cooper sport, toyota hilux, toyota surf.
68 Posts

well thats the seats and my CPU loom repair =[

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Er, fair play for the seat swap. Not so sure about the Swastika on the seat base or angle grinder mods for weight reduction ;)

I really like the yellow on Vito's so I'm kind of disappointed that you've gone rattle black, but to each his own. (The wheels look great :D )

Having tested these properly this weekend on another camping trip, I should have done this ages ago. Much more convenient and it gave us more options in terms of what got carried where.

Thanks for the tips and guidance chaps :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts