Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, ive just joined and wanted to say hi, also my 1st question is about a 112 with an auto gearbox that keeps popping a driveshaft, im thinking of buying it if anyone on here knows wether a change to a maual box is fesable, thanks for looking and hope someone can help with this.jim

W220 Moderator
Anything is possible but it is a hell of a lot of work, I would just buy a manual van.

If you really wan't to do this best bet is to buy a running manual van as well and then you will have all the bits.

HTH

Dave

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, yeah I was thinking that myself, but can't realy afford to buy 2, even scrappers are getting good money, luckily I have another van I can use for work so it may be a case of putting in workshop and stripping it down and get a load of donor parts, or seeing why the shaft keeps popping out which is a bit strange

W220 Moderator
Hi,

Well you're talking to the right guy, I spent years running my own Auto Transmission firm, before moving up here and being semi retired and now looking after fleets of MB's including my own W638 Ambiente Auto, and I've broken up 3 638's for parts :grin

I assume it is the N/S shaft that keeps coming out, as the O/S is the fixed shaft and it should be fairly obvious that all the bolts on the engine block bracket have fallen out if it is that one LOL.

2nd, I'm going to assume that the flange is popping out of the transmission, and it then loses it's oil............correct ?

If so it will either be that the circlip on the flange which goes into the gearbox is weak / broken / not there, or that the plunging action of the shaft inner CV joint is seizing up / worn and therefore suspension movement is pulling it out.

Also worth noting is that vehicle must be level and engine idling in P(ark) whilst topping up the auto fluid, and also kept idling while you put the filler plug back in, or you will get a low fluid level and wreck the gearbox.

Drive shafts are the same Manual and Auto, the flange which the drive shaft bolts to, and which has the circlip on it will probably be peculiar to Auto version, but I expect with a bit of hunting you could get a suitable circlip or complete flange if that is the culprit.

Last point, these flanges can wear and become loose on really high milers, but although I've seen a lot of movement in them they don't usually pop out or leak oil from the seal :wink

HTH

Cheers Dave

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Dave your a legend, thanks for the replies and advice, could you shed some light on what the auto version of the vito is like to drive, i had 112 manual and absolutly loved it, so powerfull even loaded up, ive had a look at the add again and it says shaft has been replaced twice and come out again, im leaning towards possibly the flange youve mentioned, can you tell me what kind of job it is if you wouldnt mind and if its possible to buy this as a seperate part, i know its a bit of a gamble buying a van that you cant test drive obviously,but it has a lot of scope and perfect for me to put mu own stamp on it but dont want to end up spending a fortune on a auto box, thanks in advance

W220 Moderator
Well assuming the shafts were new, and not s/h and bad, then I'd definitely say flange circlip, but if it's happened to someone else you don't know the history, has the auto been run dry ? Could be shagged. They are quite hardy though.

Auto's drive lovely, especially the Ambiente model, I prefer them to manual.

If it's super cheap you may pick up a s/h Auto box if needed.

If it's not super cheap I'd look for a good running van :wink

HTH

Cheers Dave

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everything dave, decided its not worth the risk, the search for a van continues lol, appreciate all your input though, cheers mate. Jim

Registered
Well assuming the shafts were new, and not s/h and bad, then I'd definitely say flange circlip, but if it's happened to someone else you don't know the history, has the auto been run dry ? Could be shagged. They are quite hardy though.

Auto's drive lovely, especially the Ambiente model, I prefer them to manual.

If it's super cheap you may pick up a s/h Auto box if needed.

If it's not super cheap I'd look for a good running van /forums/images/BenzWorld2/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

HTH

Cheers Dave
Hi Dave

Sorry to jump in on this but I've got a 116cdi auto with 170000 on the clock. If I've slowed say for a round about and then get hard on the gas there is a clunk noise when the next gear engages. Kind of like back lash in the box but I'm hoping it could be maybe a worn cush drive (if there is such a thing on these) Any advice much appreciated

Adam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
areed
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing