Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i know diesel's dont pink but my Vito seems to be doing just that :confused:
It happens when pulling away from rest in first or second but disapears when revs rise above 2000.
Not actually sure it is pinking but its the best way i can describe the sound.
So far changed the air,fuel filters and oil and filter. Used injector cleaner and used BP ultimate fuel all to no avail.
Just to make it harder to fix it doesn't happen all the time and is usually accompanied by rough/lumpy tickover but no excessive smoke from exhaust
FSH ex RAC van with 64,000 on clock.Suprisingly enough orange in colour!
Help!

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,414 Posts
Try cleaning the governor linkages - at the front of the engine (between the engine and front of van) near the left hand side as you look at it (offside)

they are 4 or 5 short linkages - do not try to dismantle them as it is a sod to rebalance them afterwards -- just scrub them out with a solvent and paintbrush (white spirit, ether or petrol work fine)

do it a couple of times and soak in oil (e.g. spray 3in1, WD40 works but is a little too light)

-----------

if this fails (or even if it works) try a low tank of fuel (5 to 15ltrs) plus a litre of sunflower oil - if this works, your cetane level is too low (cetane is the diesel equivalent of octane and is what made all those petrol cars blow up a few weeks ago) or the engine is coked.

Try Millers oils diesel booster at 4 times stated dosage to clean the engine and then at stated dosage when you add fuel.

---- oh yes there is a link somewhere telling the fun of chemical decoking (from my experiences)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Malcolm
Sorry to seem thick but what are the governor linkages:confused:
Do you mean the small pipes under the plastic cover marked CDI that run from the injectors back towards the fuel filter??
I'll try the sunflower oil as well just to see if it helps.
Dont see how it might be coked because the van see's motorway work quite a bit for at least an hour at a time but i'm no expert:surrender:
Carl

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,414 Posts
it's me wots an idiot.

I'm currently working on a non cdi so my mind is totally focused (as focused as my painkiller addled brain can be) on that one.

I will look out the governer details for a cdi tomorrow and post it.

--------

coking a diesel has bugger all to do with what work its doing (unlike a petrol or gas vehicle) since diesels reach operating tempeature in a couple of minutes and produce maximum power at very low revs.

coking a diesel is almost entirely a fuel related problem, caused by the fuel igniting too late in the cycle (with petrol its too early in the cycle) causing only partial burning and high carbon and carbon monoxide/dioxide emissions.

the resultant carbon is then deposited on the cylinder walls and along the exhaust.

the cure is to increase the cetane level or alter the firing point.

the firing point is altered by the governer and a swine to set up, therefore the only option is to keep parts clean and lubricated.

cetane can be increased, making the fuel explode earlier and easier, by adding cetane improvers.

I have tried most on the market and found blue coral to be the best - but they stopped making it last year!

I now use Millers oils diesel improver (£8 -£9 per bottle for several full tanks) and have successfully used various veg oils on test circuits (needs a customs licence for road use)

coking (and subsequent fuel economy) can be very fuel dependent.
in the 60s Shell used to coke like mad but they overcame that a long time ago.

from ersonal experience I get best and cleanest performance with millers aditive and esso diesel or morrisons diesel.

I then get varyingly worse performance and increased coking with the various fuels on the local market, with worst results from tesco with a little better from sainsburys. I don't know why but its probably down to fuel cleanliness and the additives they put in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all:)
Spent most of last satuday poking and proding under the Vito bonnet to see if anything broken/loose/missing or obviously stuffed and found a broken connector from a sensor of some kind on the top of the intercooler!
Looks like its been knocked off when then aux belt made a bid for freedom about a month ago and i didnt see it at the time.
Just wondering if this could cause any of the probs i'm having at mo.
thinking on lines of maybe overfuelling due to lack of air info to the ECU and causing coking as Malcolm has suggested.
Possible???:confused:
If not may have a low mileage van for bright orange spares:crybaby2: :crybaby2:

·
Registered
108d big orange shaggin wagon v280 639 109
280 Posts
orange vito said:
Hi all:)
Spent most of last satuday poking and proding under the Vito bonnet to see if anything broken/loose/missing or obviously stuffed and found a broken connector from a sensor of some kind on the top of the intercooler!
Looks like its been knocked off when then aux belt made a bid for freedom about a month ago and i didnt see it at the time.
Just wondering if this could cause any of the probs i'm having at mo.
thinking on lines of maybe overfuelling due to lack of air info to the ECU and causing coking as Malcolm has suggested.
Possible???:confused:
If not may have a low mileage van for bright orange spares:crybaby2: :crybaby2:
where u based

·
Registered
108d big orange shaggin wagon v280 639 109
280 Posts
could meet up av a buchers for you see if we can sort it:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
did you manage to get to the bottom of your engine pinking my sprinters doing exactly the same any help would be greatfully recieved

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi mate, I have a 108cdi with the same problem, I have found it but yet to find the time to fix it. If you start your van and hear the noise take a look at your accessary drive belt tensioner while the noise is happening you'll see it slapping back and forth.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
just wondering if the problem has finally been fixed?

mine started "pinking" and "hunting" a couple of months ago with no apparent cause.

when it got bad enough, the cause became apparent......... the thermostat had gone ........ so the engine never got over 65c and the fuel was too cold to burn eficiently (diesel is bad under 80c)

New stat ...... runs perfectly.......... now switched to diesel / sunflower mix

1 - 12 of 12 Posts