Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ,hope someone can help me out.ive just bought a vito 108 cdi,2002 with various little problems.
A - on buying the van 2 front tyres were low on tread so had 2 x good part worns fitted.before they were fitted the van would drive in a straight line,break in a straight line and no real issues with how it steered and drove.now with the new (part worn)tyres on it pulls to the right and there is a slight wobble and just feels all wrong,if you know what i mean.ive now had the wheels tracked and its no different.
B - there seems to be,sometimes not all,a noise as you drive like a rumble,a thudding noise,hard to describe really.
C - tick over seems a little lumpy...rev counter slightly wobbling up and down probabley 1 or 2mm.seems to drive ok though
D - heater is noisey,have been told to try cleaning the pollen filter...? any other suggestions please
E - when stuck in traffic in first and you take your foot off the accellerator and the van just slows and judders and does not pull itself along without putting your foot on the accellerator,i pressume it would stall although i havent let it do it i have just dipped the clutch or accellerated.
The above are the problems i have found in my first few days of owning the van,i am also aware of 2 front gaiters need changing and the passenger side front disk is quite badly scorred obviously from running pads down to metal at some time or another.i pressume these dont relate to any of my problems but thought i would mention them incase it can effect the pulling etc.
I really hope someone on here can help and would be very greatful of anyones expertise or simular experiences.thanks

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
:thumbsup: lets see...........

either the steering was altered or its the tyres.........

rough guess its the tyres

I've had this, with the worst incidence being neumant tyres (spelling varies) that originally come from what was East Germany..... I had Noise (like you) they felt oval (like you) I had them re-balanced 3 times, they pulled to one side (like you) oddly when hard braking, they went the other way.... just never in a straight line..... After 3000miles I gave in and dumped them with almost no wear (they looked new) and bought another cheap set..... everything was ok again with NO adjustments..... the other worst tyre was a set of Pirelli 4000 (a few years ago) after much trouble ATS replaced all 5 as they had "gone oval"- pirellis own description....... SO price isn't necessarily important.

Lumpy tickover and pickup can be many things and not always worth investing time in...... commonly its muck or carbon or water in the fuel or mucky engine.

treatment, run fuel till very low then firstly add water absorbing chemical (supplied for lawnmowers and boats) and run fuel out (yes dry) then top from a can, it absorbs water in the tank (we all get it) and burns it off.....
secondly add Millers Oils Diesel additive at 1/2 bottle to 30ltrs diesel, run til nearly dry, run 30 ltrs straight diesel, then repeat millers treatment.... do it at speed and keep the speed up; it will sound like hell, and make much smoke (in black clouds) and the engine will try to stall (don't let it) but it will get the cylinders nice and shiney, it will make mpg terrible but then run on standard strength millers and diesel and the mpg will return and normally improve (the noise and smoke is the carbon coming off)

Heater, as in my other posts on here, remove pollen filter and run to get the crap out (the crud it stopped going into the cab) and replace (about £10) only then can you tell if its something else.

Get a pair of stretch gaiters and fitting cones from ebay (about £8 each) take shafts off (see posts) cut off old gaiters and replace (its easy) but KEEP THE SHAFT STRAIGHT when you do it to avoid any problems..... an hour on a workmate (not the person) and its quite simple.... I keep a gaiter kit and steering gaiter kit on the shelf (they always go for the MOT)

If ANY wear, replace the discs ALWAYS as a pair..... note mb say if pads need replacing, so do the discs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

thanks malcolm.so if your saying the problem is with the tyres rightfully if you were to swap the 2 fronts over it should make a difference...if it does it is the tyres...right?
also had you any thoughts on " E" ?
thank you for your help so far:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
yes I suppose changing the wheels over might show up the problem, I didn't try this because at the time I could still work and earned a hefty amount, I therefore let the "experts" look at it and then simply bought new boots............ not something I could contemplate any more.

As for the stuttering at move-off, apart from mucky fuel / coked-up I can only say that vitos in good order are difficult to stall and can go way below the stall point of most vehicles..... apart from cleaning (and I would at least run some water remover (lawnmower or outboard additive)) IF it can be lived with, I would live with it.

My piece-de-resistance (to quote a frog), when teaching clutch control to learners, was moving off in 3rd gear from a standing start without using the throttle at all.......... I can manage this on a local 1in6 hill using the vito, yes it stutters a bit but it does pull away (not if you want long life from your clutch)...... otherwise remember to accelerate before letting out the clutch.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine's a little lumpy on idle too. I've put it down to the injectors probably being a little grubby after pulling them to do the seals. I was really careful not to touch the tips etc but it was inevitable some grot got on them. I'm going to run some additive after i've run the tank down and see if that improves anything!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts