Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there
ive got a vito 108 cdi year 2000
driven it for 5 years,3 when i was employed,2 now its mine(redundency)
always been good as gold apart from diesel heater u/s
today while driving it suddenly cutout.
all electrics still work,i can here the fuelpump running and all dash lights/van lights work fine.
it turns over a treat...and everything else works...but it wont start.
the EDC light has come on...what does this mean exactly?.
im thinking...lack of fuel
so...pump....cutoff valve.....lack of pressure....
but the suddeness of death feels to me like electrical..
ive checked fuses ..ok
im sure the diesel pump can be heard...
i would love anyone who can help............but not in a literal way
ta all who reply
tpemarkturner.:bowdown:

·
Registered
2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
379 Posts
Did it just shut off as if the ignition had been switched off? Or did it lose power or give any signs of cutting out before it stopped?

If it had cut out slowly then I would suspect a restriction in the fuel like a clogged filter. or perhaps a dodgy connection on a sensor somewhere which may have gone on and off over a period of time before completely cutting out.

If it switched off suddenly with no warning then it is likely that the electronic control unit (ECU) shut it off because it believes that there is a problem that would be dangerous or damaging to the engine for it to continue running. (or possibly that there has been a terminal failure) If this is the case then you need to do some investigation to find out why. The most obvious thing to do would be to get the error code read and find out what the ECU says.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vito 108

yes it just cut out like it was switched off.
can anyone tell me where the diesel cutoff switch/valve is then i can check if
it has operated to cut off fuel...
im assuming this is the case as the EDC light has come on.
id love to plug it in and see an error code but i live in the sticks...i would need to get it to the nearest city 20 odd miles away to do that.
my local garage has it at the moment but at this time of year he is flat out and cant look at it for a while.
in the mean time im trying to find out as much as poss.
ta:(

·
Registered
2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
379 Posts
As you are standing in front of the van looking back at the engine. The fuel cut off valve is on the left-hand end of the engine at the back on the top. There is a connector plug which connects to the back of it and the fuel line comes in from the bottom.
There are quite a lot of things in the way; a cover, the air intake pipe, another cover and it is tucked behind (sort of) the serpentine belt driving the alternator.

I am working from memory here as it is far too cold to go out there and look so the details may not be completely accurate

·
Registered
29 Posts
try disconnecting battery that mite reset the edc light if not needs to go on computer happened to be last week

1 - 5 of 5 Posts