Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
New here so apologies if I ask stupid questions. I am a truck mechanic by trade and did at one point work for a Merc dealership (they have since ceased to be, mis management being the route cause and why I left to go and fix trains instead)
Anyway, I have an old vito, non turbo, manual pump (not comon rail or fly by wire, good old fashioned cable throttle) and its a bit flat on the old power. I'm guessing most of you would say "what do you expect!" My question would be, would I have to get involved in major heart surgery in order to fit a turbo? You know different pistons etc. the whole compression ratio stuff I understand, and yeah I've done all the obvious stuff like filters. What are the fundamental differences between the 108 and say the 110cdi? If I swapped the engine how involved would I have to get with ecu's and looms and I assume throttle pedal?
All I want is a bit more umph preferably without opening up the "limp home" can of worms (one of the good things about manual pumps)

I know I ramble on, but any help is appreciated.

Steve.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 108, 110 and 112 is the same engine. Only the radiator on the 112 they say are different but I have no idea for sure. My 110 does have a different radiator then my 108. The thing which gives the 112 and 110 more power then 108 is the ECU as far as I understand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have a simple 108D (2299 cmc) then the only turbo version for that engine is 110D so 100 HP with turbo.

108cdi ,110 cdi,112 cdi have a different engine that is 2151cmc and they all have turbo , including the 108cdi.

The difference between them is that 108cdi has a fixed turbo geometry while 110cdi and 112cdi have a variable turbo geometry and also different size intercooler etc.

So....to answer your question....is you put a cdi engine you will need a need instrument panel also because they are different and lots more.

Maybe the conversion to 110D would be easier since it is the same engine but i am not that good at mechanics.

To make your search easier here are the engine codes :

108 D - 2299 cmc - 601.942
110 D - 2299 cmc - 601.970

108 CDI - 2151 cmc - 611A
110 CDI - 2151 cmc - 611LA
112 CDI - 2151 cmc - 611.980

@TheUser - if you don't know exactly something is better not to give advices :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
lol, I only told him the difference between 108, 110 and 112. I didn't say that these CDI engine did not have a turbo. I assume he know that.

The difference between radiator/intercooler did I mention, and you are actually the first one to mention about fixed geometry. I did a research about this a lot, even the part numbers for the turbo, on all three engines are the same. That was however what I got.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts