Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 500SL
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the lights on the pasenger side appear to work fine and logical...red lead hot..brown is the ground..move the switch arm...and it lights up...the drivers side has me baffled...both red and brown leads are hot....the switch does work, as its post are hot on one side, cold on the other...then when the arm is moved, both sides get hot...what really baffles me as the silver reflector shields that surrounds the bulbs are even hot, without tripping the switch, without bulbs in? is it possible that the passenger side searches for a hot source, and when the the panel is opened, it gets hot, so it lights up, but the drivers side is searching for a ground? i cant figure out why everything on the drivers side is always hot, put a ground on any metal part, and it lights up? doesnt seem logical, but then what does, maybe i dont actually have a ground running up to the drivers side, so it will never work in its current configuration..i just went back and checked...i dont have any ground up at the driver side....maybe somebody took it apart, and wired it backwards, as the red wire is on right on the drivers side, but on the left on the passengers side, which doesnt seem right, as they are the same, i would they would be wired the same....now i need to unsolder the wires running to the drivers side, and see if the brown is a ground when unplugged from everything......thanks for listening....oh yea...one more thing..when i apply any ground to the drivers side...the overhead lights also come on? this doesnt seem logical either....

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
david7212 said:
the lights on the pasenger side appear to work fine and logical...red lead hot..brown is the ground..move the switch arm...and it lights up...the drivers side has me baffled...both red and brown leads are hot....the switch does work, as its post are hot on one side, cold on the other...then when the arm is moved, both sides get hot...what really baffles me as the silver reflector shields that surrounds the bulbs are even hot, without tripping the switch, without bulbs in? is it possible that the passenger side searches for a hot source, and when the the panel is opened, it gets hot, so it lights up, but the drivers side is searching for a ground? i cant figure out why everything on the drivers side is always hot, put a ground on any metal part, and it lights up? doesnt seem logical, but then what does, maybe i dont actually have a ground running up to the drivers side, so it will never work in its current configuration..i just went back and checked...i dont have any ground up at the driver side....maybe somebody took it apart, and wired it backwards, as the red wire is on right on the drivers side, but on the left on the passengers side, which doesnt seem right, as they are the same, i would they would be wired the same....now i need to unsolder the wires running to the drivers side, and see if the brown is a ground when unplugged from everything......thanks for listening....oh yea...one more thing..when i apply any ground to the drivers side...the overhead lights also come on? this doesnt seem logical either....
Do you know how hard that post is to read? That being said, I think you are correct, (if I am reading properly), in assuming that you have lost your ground between the right and left sides.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1991 500SL
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea it was confusing...but i took both leads off the drivers side...both wires are hot...so that means...somewhere along the line...the brown wire (ground) got hot!....i aint going to try and trace that...unless i know where it begins..i probably jsut try and run a wire to the visor shaft, which is grounded....who knows...lots of work for only a light that i wont use...thats for reading my dilema...

·
Registered
1991 500SL
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it worked...ran a wire thru the sunvisor to the tension screw...then to a solder joint..now it works...i have no idea how the ground wire got hot...but it is...thanks again.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
david7212 said:
it worked...ran a wire thru the sunvisor to the tension screw...then to a solder joint..now it works...i have no idea how the ground wire got hot...but it is...thanks again.
It got hot searching for, and finding, a ground. Electricity is like water, it follows the path of least resistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts