Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Australia, 99SLK230 R170, 2001SLK32
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Painting - spraying....I've used these little guys before.
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
great little jobbies for small spray volumes...and relatively cheap. Since the viponds is only 200ml....you know what I mean.

Doing nothing by halves - I'm looking at going the whole hog and doing the oberoi thing and pulling the lot apart, cleaning it up and spraying it properly.

That's the first challenge.
---------------------------------

2. Next - I'm still thinking of going scarlet 227 on my currently anthracite 221 SLK32.....

Viponds recommend I go white on top of the anthracite and then scarlet ontop of the white.
Anyone else had a go at something like this?

Ah....you may well ask - what about the leather door liners and seats.... they are currentl anthracite as well...well....I can swap my scarlet 230 door liners over into the 32 and when I sell the 230 - okay so it doesnt have scarlet door liners - who cares - it is what it is...its a 13yr old SLK230.....

seats - well that's another thing. need an upholster and need to find some benz leahter in scarlet 227 to match.....sources - much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
03 SL500, 14 ML350
51 Posts
I like the VIPONDS stuff. My interior looked bad with scratches and scuffs (its the blue interior) so I bought a bottle. here's the catch though... There really is no way to paint on top of the existing surface and make it look good. Much less two coats. You will simply lose all texture on the plastic and it's gonna look like crap.

What I ended up doing was CAREFULLY disassembling the interior and removing all the existing color first. This is a REALLY time consuming job, but not that difficult if you can get the dash apart without breaking any of the fragile connecting parts. I used Motsenbocker's Lift Off 5 paint remover (in a spray bottle) and a bunch of rags and nylon brushes (toothbrush size, but stiffer). From there it's spray, let sit, scrub. repeat. repeat. repeat. Eventually all the original stuff will come off and you can recoat with whatever color you want. Once the blue came off, the plastic was all black and the VIPONDS paint covered it like a dream. i used the cheap foam brush applicators from Home Depot.

this was an extremely laborious job, but didn't cost much and now my interior looks perfectly new. Well worth it if you are planning on keeping your 170.

If it's not a labor of love... then it's definitely not worth doing. My two cents.

·
Registered
Australia, 99SLK230 R170, 2001SLK32
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what colour did you end up going with after the clean off - blue again?
I think I'd have to agree....after doing my 230 with an overcoat of scarlet 227, I would think another coat lines up with what you are saying - "too thick and loss of texture". Not only that bu the thicker it is the easier it is to damage it with nocks and bumps.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1676342-oberois-dash-paint-write-up.html

Great that you found a stripper that did the job (apart from some elbow grease)....

·
Registered
03 SL500, 14 ML350
51 Posts
I just did the same blue, but it seems that any color would cover just as well. The Viponds paint is very impressive. covers well and leaves no brush lines with a foam brush. You definitely don't want to go too thick with it. I agree that thicker causes problems visually (loss of texture) and also makes it easier to damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts