Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, over the past couple of months my car has begun to shake when i start to brake. This happens anytime i am over about 45MPH. This past week on a road trip to California, it got pretty bad. Anytime i hit the brakes, even slightly, the whole car began to shake and thump. It feels as if you were driving over a brick road. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Did you feel it in the brake pedal? Bad brake Caliper (s)? As in sticking pistons.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hello, over the past couple of months my car has begun to shake when i start to brake. This happens anytime i am over about 45MPH. This past week on a road trip to California, it got pretty bad. Anytime i hit the brakes, even slightly, the whole car began to shake and thump. It feels as if you were driving over a brick road. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be? Thanks a lot.
Check tie rods, drag link, steering damper assemblies. When these parts wear out, front end shake is a symptom.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sounds very much like warped rotors. When was your last brake job, and when they did it, did they turn the rotors or replace them? If they are old, or when they did the brakes and turned them, then they're likely too thin, and heat has warped them. Replacement rotors aren't too expensive, and that's what MB designers intended. New rotors and pads will run a couple hundred for the fronts, maybe half that for the rears. It's likely the fronts that need replacing though. You can look through lots of threads about the best pads and rotors...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1403756-brake-rotor-disk-pad-recommendations.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1377824-1989-420sel-uneven-brake-pad-wear.html

Good luck tracking this down!

D

·
Registered
212 Posts
If the "violent shake" you're talking about is coming from the brake pedal and steering wheel, probably a warped brake rotor. If the symptoms are correct, just think back and see if you can remember any sharp braking from high speeds or a day filled with heavy braking etc.

·
66,894 Posts
most likely a warped rotor; I have been there!
Next time always install good quality pads, the cheap stuff will ruin the rotors.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I am having the same problem on my W201 after I installed new textar pads and Zimmerman rotors.
I have the shaking only if i slighlty press the brake pedal from 70-55 mph.
Any ideas?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,267 Posts
I am having the same problem on my W201 after I installed new textar pads and Zimmerman rotors.
I have the shaking only if i slighlty press the brake pedal from 70-55 mph.
Any ideas?
On my W201, I have a little vibration from the front right under braking. I installed new German made rotors and Jurid pads less than 2 month ago. There has been no emergency, or heavy duty breaking.
Its annoying enough to replace again with ATE.

·
Registered
230 Posts
when you do decide to change the rotors and pads remember to torque the bolts. Also the first 300mi of careful (hard braking - no locking the wheels) driving will allow to bed in the pads properly. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had this happen on mine a few weeks ago. Was the tie rod end. Does the brake pedal pulsate ehwn this happens, if so it is most likely a rotor. If it is the wheel, most likely a steering component.
Look at the joint, and have soemone turn the wheel back and forth. Is there rod movement, and no wheel movement?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
posibly your front brakes are grabing befor the rear? not sure if this is posible on mercedies, are the brakes new all around, maby the backs are worn too much leaving the fronts to do all the work. check out all lines ect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts