Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

De-badged the car yesterday too!
My baby is a bit dirty but I haven't taken any pics of it with the vinyl tail lights so i took a pic quickly before work :]
Side markers are smoked out as well.
I'm also thinking of cutting the springs in the back about an inch & a half.
Thought it would look a bit weird with black tail lights but it turned out pretty sexy to me :p
Anyone care to share pics? It would be appreciated to see some nice color on some tail lights!

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
]

I'm also thinking of cutting the springs in the back about an inch & a half.
As I remember, it's important to maintain the relative height relationship between front and back - goes all wobbly at speed (technical term!)

Oberoi

·
1998 SLK 230
2,596 Posts
as above...

+ i wouldnt cut springs on any car as it changes how the spring behaves and once you shorten it and go over a hard bump it may come out since you shortened it. also most insurance companies wont cover you as its unroadworthy.

aftermarket springs arent that expensive thats the way to go

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as above...

+ i wouldnt cut springs on any car as it changes how the spring behaves and once you shorten it and go over a hard bump it may come out since you shortened it. also most insurance companies wont cover you as its unroadworthy.

aftermarket springs arent that expensive thats the way to go
Thought and advice well received my friend. Thank you. I will probably go for some aftermarket springs then and update you guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
I am not a fan of dark tail lights. I want brake lights as bright as possible, having been rear-ended and written off before. Rear ended SLKs are almost always written off as this wrecks body and convertible roof alignment. Dark lights are less conspicuous. At least put a flasher unit on your 3rd brake light.
But, its your car and each to their own.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,596 Posts
agree with oztds... i dont mind a very very light tint like on the new AMG's but here in OZ in some states your car can be defected for being unroadworthy for the tail lights. also if this contributed to an acident (i.e. rear ended) some insurance companys wont pay or only partialy pay.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
I will probably go for some aftermarket springs then and update you guys :
V i k - forgot to add this so you can check your front and back heights as a base line

Oberoi

Bazzles post of a few years ago for ride height specs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To check your standard height measure from the middle of your wheel to the lip of the guard.
Factory specs are:-
Front: 350mm standard 320mm min
Rear: 370mm standard 340mm min
Bazzle

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
V i k - forgot to add this so you can check your front and back heights as a base line

Oberoi

Bazzles post of a few years ago for ride height specs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To check your standard height measure from the middle of your wheel to the lip of the guard.
Factory specs are:-
Front: 350mm standard 320mm min
Rear: 370mm standard 340mm min
Bazzle
yup i think my front springs are lower than standard because they're a bit old and worn out. But I'll look into it this week and see what I'm gonna do.

Thanks for the tip!

·
1998 SLK 230
2,596 Posts
+ yep as above. my front springs were below standard and the front looked lowered making the back look even higher. its due to age and the weight placed over them over the years.

i got H&R springs and it lowered it nicely.

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those taillights look great! Thanks for sharing. Did you do it yourself? Is this something a window tint shop could do?
Yup I did it myself :D
Took a while to try my first time but I got a hang of it. Spent around 60 bucks for the vinyl wrap and messed up half of it. It takes a lot of patience especially around the corners. It was a near flawless job IMHO. It took around 45 mins each tail light.

I watched a few youtube vids to help myself out with this little project.

And yes, I believe a couple of shops can do it for you. A few shops did them specifically and charged around 120$-150$ but I avoided them. I wanted to do it on my own :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts