Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was a mess when I purchased it. The inside in particular. Anyway, my attempt to take off some of the dirt got my vinyl on the door panel messed up. Anything I can get to cover it up? I went to a local paint shop but could not get anything for it. I attached some pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can try vinyl paint
since it's only on the vinyl part of the door, just mask off the area where you don't want the paint to get on. I would take it a step further and just take the door panel out, which is very easy, (look in the stickies) mask off the leather part of the door and the door trims, make sure the door is clean, no dirt or anything sticking on it. and just give it a nice even coat over the affected area

My friend owns a bmw and managed to ruin one of the door panels, and used the vinyl paint on it and you can't even tell that anything happened to it, even looking at it up close.

Search: vinyl paint | Paint - Vinyl and Fabric | AutoZone.com

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
From what I can see you will need to respray the color.

Please understand the quality of the outcome will be directly related to the prep time and care you take, and the quality of the products you use.

For prep use SEM sand free spray primer, per the instructions on the can.

For the color coats, use SEM vinyl coat and I think Warm Gray will be your closest color match. Total at/under $30 for both sprays.

Do a google search to find how best to use both products. Use a electric hair dryer (no heat setting only) to help dry between light spray color coats.

You are not sying the vinyl, this is a vinyl coat, and it's good quality... but overall you want to put down multiple very light coats/mist on a very well prepared surface or you will end up putting down too much and having it look terrible.

Your other option is to source a replacement door panel in gray from a breaker.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can pick up the Vinyl and Fabric spray in just about any auto parts store and it does work great. You probably won't get an exact color match though but worth a try. It will look a lot better than what you have now lol. You might want to try another paint supplier to see if they can color match. I am using a paint supplier located in a auto parts store that color matched the exterior paint of another car I have and put it in a spray can to touch up the exterior mirrors. I am restoring my 98 E320 inside and out changing the color to black (inside and out). I have sprayed the inside plastic pieces with an off the shelf black plastic spray paint so far and they look great.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to the auto paint shop today and the guy couldn't determine whether the door panel is vinyl or leather. He has a color that can match with the paint if it is a vinyl but none that can match it if it is a leather. Is your door panel leather or vinyl? Does it matter if I use the vinyl paint?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here is a picture of the pieces for the door panel when taken apart.

The main body of the door panel is vinyl. The map pocket is cloth (you can spray paint also), and the only leather on the door is the crinkly looking material with the plastic SRS airbag tab on it.

Here is another link to buy the spray paint. I've changed the color on mine from Gray to Black and it looks great. I'm waiting for some leather paint for the leather then I will post the results.
Dyes in Aerosols Cans for Vinyl, Leather, Plastic and Carpet

As mentioned previously I just bought the black Vinyl and cloth paint off the shelf from an auto parts store. The leather dye I am special ordering from http://www.leatherique.com/lrp_standard_colors/, because I am painting some of the leather a hot pink (for my daughter) and leatherique is reasonably priced for special order. They don't put it in a spay can, I will use my paint sprayer for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
the part you are painting is not leather, any $5 spray can of vinyl paint or even bumper cover paint should work just fine. if the spray paint you found matches your color, then give it a try. with spray paint, always paint in mists, never spray without motion and put generously paint tape around the area. give it a couple of spray mists, wait a few minutes to dry a little bit and repeat until done. make sure you shake the can good beforehand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts