Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,014 Posts
On any Benz built before 1926. I saw one at the Classic Center.

When Daimler and Benz merged they merged elements of both companies logos, and adopted the three pointed star. Also one of the major investors and distributors, an Emil Jellinek, his Daughter's name was Mercedes.

Oh, the three pointed star means the three modes of travel that Mercedes builds for: Air, Land and Sea.

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike...thought it was a pre-war (2) badge....the odds of finding one not securely attached to the car are slim, I'm thinking...I'd like to replace the existing hood badge with it. While I think of it, how does the badge itself come off?

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
Are you talking the "Button"? On a Coupe?

If yes then very easy. Couple of ways: One is to use a plastic shim and get under the badge and gently pry it off.

The way I do it it open the hood and I take a small, tiny, Phillips SD and a hammer and I VERY CAREFULLY punch the top stud and it will pop out. I can't stress seriously how much care you have to take and I don't want to hear "I punched a hole in my hood". Once you get it a bit off you can then pry it the rest of the way.

When I first did the resto on my car, I replaced the button with the stock MB one, which is a 107 part number. The badge has relief in it and has the std blue in the Laurel field. It has ridges that you can easily see and feel. Well the one I bought was from Benz and within 6 months the blue enamel was faded and peeled. I took it off and went to Benz and they gave me another, 6 months later. I went through three of them and each time Eric would cheerfully replace it. After the 3 time I asked him for a newer coupe one. Off either a 129 or newer CLK. He gave me the one I have now along with the different grommets. So in March when I had the bumpers replaced with Euros and the hood repainted, I measured the existing holes and found that I had to slot the bottom one a bit to get it to fit. I took my Mototool and drilled it out and then fitted it. I also used a little sealant to ensure that no moisture creeps in. Been on 8 months now and is fresh as day one and I like the updated look versus the old 107 look. I think if I get a 107 I would update the badge to this one.

If you notice the Laurels, that was from Benz and the Star was from Gottlieb Daimler. Supposedly he saw it in a dream if memory serves. Mercedes was From Jellinek who was putting up the money, and Daimler and Benz had the know-how. Now you see how we got the logo and company of today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
Seems to me I saw a gearshifter with that logo on it. Let me think?

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's awesome - guess what I'm doing to the ol' 450SL next....

While I'm here - still casting around for a black d/s sunvisor, since the guts of mine were torn out by the p'o for a rear-view camera.

Thanks for the how-to on the button - tearing out a perfectly decent hood-pad didn't make any sense...

·
Premium Member
10,014 Posts
tearing out a perfectly decent hood-pad didn't make any sense...
Why would you have to do that? The HP does not cover it. It's in a little opening just fwd of that. You will have to feel in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts