Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a w124 e220 RHD here in India. I am the 3rd owner. Everytime i use my VIN at any of the authorized centers, it returns back as wrong VIN. It is the same VIN that has been printed in the engine firewall and in my Registration copy . SO i find it difficult sourcing parts everytime. What can i do about it ? can anyone help?
chassis : WDB1240226C277167
GEAR BOX NO : 124 260 97 01 717 413 0 6906355
Engine : 11196020040997

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
That is not the style VIN we have used in the USA for many, many years. Here we have used a 17 digit VIN for decades. The VIN of your car appears to be the style used in Europe.

I don't know if the European VIN is created using the same strategy as the US VIN but a US VIN has a so-called "check digit" and here's how it works.

Every letter and number in the VIN except the 9th digit has an actual meaning as far as manufacturer, country of manufacture, body style, engine, sequential number, etc. Whether letter or number each of these letters/numbers except the 9th digit is assigned a numeric value. As an example, let's make it easy and say that A is one, B is two, C is three, and so on to Z being 26. Let's also say that numbers 0 through 9 are assigned their actual value. Finally, let's say that all numbers/letters combined must equal 113.

So with the fictitious VIN 3C8FY68B52T 386333 the equation would be:

3 + 3 + 8 + 5 + 25 + 6 + 8 + 2 + check digit + 2 + 20 + 3 + 8 + 6 + 3 + 3 + 3 = check digit + 108

Since the check sum must equal 113 the number 5 becomes the check digit.

As a further example, if the check sum would have to equal 115 the number 7 would be the check digit.

Get it?

If your VIN keeps getting kicked back as invalid I'm guessing that the check sum value is incorrect.

This is a very longwinded way of saying that you must make absolutely sure that you have read the VIN correctly and not used an O where there is actually a zero or a 1 where there in an L.

Good luck.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You need to try combination of last four digits on online EPC sites and see which one gives out your engine and transmission number. I am just guessing, I am not sure if chassis number is coded from engine number & transmission or reverse.

Did a quick brute force and got WDB1240226C277191 chassis number which gives engine and transmission number closer to yours. If rest of the stuff in below datacard matches, you probably could use WDB1240226C277191 as chassis number to order parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
In my experience having owned MB’s that were both domestic and foreign imports....

European/JDM/ROW vehicles only have the VIN on a tag under the hood and stamped into the firewall.

USDM/Canadian vehicles have the VIN posted on a tag visible through the windshield on the drivers side, a decal on the drivers door jam, a tag under the hood at the front as well as the stamp on the firewall.

Pre-1979’ish models had the VIN posted on a tag on the drivers side “A-Pillar” visible through the windshield but as this pre-dates the introduction of the 17 character format it was often not used when the vehicle was originally registered...even though they were 17 characters!

An important note as mentioned above is that USDM/Canadian vehicles will have a VIN in a slightly different format than the actual VIN.

This is why when you decide your VIN a “FIN” is also displayed. The FIN is your actual serial number from the factory, but is not used when a US/CDN VIN is also assigned.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The last few of these Mercedes W124 were made in India before production ended .I know i was about to purchase a pair of secondhand front wings ,that was until i found out about it .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi thank you i checked the site...it returned not much of information though. Mine is an RHD sedan. is it ok if i can use another e220 sedan RHDS chassis no?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just checked this vin number out its on the data base ..... google this .... autoDNA Put the vin in it i can find it you can also
hi thank you i checked the site...it returned not much of information though. Mine is an RHD sedan. is it ok if i can use another e220 sedan RHDS chassis no?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is not the style VIN we have used in the USA for many, many years. Here we have used a 17 digit VIN for decades. The VIN of your car appears to be the style used in Europe.

I don't know if the European VIN is created using the same strategy as the US VIN but a US VIN has a so-called "check digit" and here's how it works.

Every letter and number in the VIN except the 9th digit has an actual meaning as far as manufacturer, country of manufacture, body style, engine, sequential number, etc. Whether letter or number each of these letters/numbers except the 9th digit is assigned a numeric value. As an example, let's make it easy and say that A is one, B is two, C is three, and so on to Z being 26. Let's also say that numbers 0 through 9 are assigned their actual value. Finally, let's say that all numbers/letters combined must equal 113.

So with the fictitious VIN 3C8FY68B52T 386333 the equation would be:

3 + 3 + 8 + 5 + 25 + 6 + 8 + 2 + check digit + 2 + 20 + 3 + 8 + 6 + 3 + 3 + 3 = check digit + 108

Since the check sum must equal 113 the number 5 becomes the check digit.

As a further example, if the check sum would have to equal 115 the number 7 would be the check digit.

Get it?

If your VIN keeps getting kicked back as invalid I'm guessing that the check sum value is incorrect.

This is a very longwinded way of saying that you must make absolutely sure that you have read the VIN correctly and not used an O where there is actually a zero or a 1 where there in an L.

Good luck.
hi thank you for the information...so what would you suggest me to do from here for the part numbers...i am attaching the engine firewall chassis number as well

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You need to try combination of last four digits on online EPC sites and see which one gives out your engine and transmission number. I am just guessing, I am not sure if chassis number is coded from engine number & transmission or reverse.

Did a quick brute force and got WDB1240226C277191 chassis number which gives engine and transmission number closer to yours. If rest of the stuff in below datacard matches, you probably could use WDB1240226C277191 as chassis number to order parts.
hi thank you so much for your efforts. But it says soft fabric top...so does it mean it is a coupe ? mine is a RHD 4 door sedan...does parts match?

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Well sir, you’ve got yourself a numerical oddity!

The VIN as pictured doesn’t seem to easily decode to anything in particular...I’ve never seen this before. Perhaps it is a CKD or SKD car?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
7 Participants
LeftCoastGeek
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing