Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say I am very disappointed with the incorporation of the viglink.com tracker into all of the remote links that appear in posts. I, and hence my browser settings, do not allow such tracking so I have to manually parse any link that I wish to view. At the very least, supporting members of the board shouldn't have to put up with that. I may get around to writing a short script that does the parsing to strip out viglink automatically someday, but in the mean time it is an annoyance.

- FD

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Viglink has destroyed most of my entertainment here, I cannot connect to anything that involves Viglink.com, it simply hangs and then times out.:mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted it to userscripts. Search for viglink.
444 - Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Works like a charm! I can go back to using this board again. . . . Gotta love Greasemonkey (ironically appropriate name, isn't it?)!

- FD

·
52,804 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What is userscripts?
Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension that allows users to install scripts that make on-the-fly changes to web page content after or before the page is loaded in the browser. Userscripts.org is the repository when users of Greasemonkey can post their custom scripts for use within Greasemonkey. In this case, the script by 444 runs on mbworld pages to remove the viglink "wrappers" that redirect links though their site, thus restoring them to direct links. This is great is great if viglink is blocked from your location (as seems to be the case for you) or if you just don't want to be spied on by the folks at viglink (which includes me).

As far as I know, Greasemonkey is available only for Firefox and similar browsers that support add-ons; similar functionality may be possible in IE and Safari, but I don't know for sure.

If you use or can use Firefox, the process is simple: Go to tools, Add-ons, then get Add-ons in Firefox. Search for "Greasemonkey" and click install. Restart Firefox and from within Greasemonkey "manage user scripts", search for vigllink. This will take your to userscripts.org and the script by 444. Click install, and voila, that troublesome viglink is gone!

·
52,804 Posts
Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension that allows users to install scripts that make on-the-fly changes to web page content after or before the page is loaded in the browser. Userscripts.org is the repository when users of Greasemonkey can post their custom scripts for use within Greasemonkey. In this case, the script by 444 runs on mbworld pages to remove the viglink "wrappers" that redirect links though their site, thus restoring them to direct links. This is great is great if viglink is blocked from your location (as seems to be the case for you) or if you just don't want to be spied on by the folks at viglink (which includes me).

As far as I know, Greasemonkey is available only for Firefox and similar browsers that support add-ons; similar functionality may be possible in IE and Safari, but I don't know for sure.

If you use or can use Firefox, the process is simple: Go to tools, Add-ons, then get Add-ons in Firefox. Search for "Greasemonkey" and click install. Restart Firefox and from within Greasemonkey "manage user scripts", search for vigllink. This will take your to userscripts.org and the script by 444. Click install, and voila, that troublesome viglink is gone!
Thank you sooooooo much:thumbsup: I use firefox anyway and have not done what you have instructed, now lets see if it works, fingers crossed.

·
52,804 Posts
Just tested it and it works like a charm, I cannot thank you enough:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just tested it and it works like a charm, I cannot thank you enough:thumbsup:
Don't thank me, thank 444! He/she had the time and discipline to sit down write the script (I'm a bit of a procrastinator :) )!

·
52,804 Posts
Don't thank me, thank 444! He/she had the time and discipline to sit down write the script (I'm a bit of a procrastinator :) )!
LOL I wondered what this 444 was all about and now I understand so thanks to 444:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts