Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got in touch with a guy named [email protected] who manufacturers r107 euro style bumpers in Vietnam out of stainless steel. He sells them for $1,200 plus $220 shipping to the US. He states that if 1 other person wants to buy them, he will charge $1,100 plus shipping and if 2 others want to buy, $1,000 plus shipping. He has to setup the tooling to make the bumpers, so that is why he offers the discount.

I found out about this guy by posting that I was in the market for euro bumpers. Someone told me to search for "vientam bumpers" There are threads here https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/2148489-new-vietnam-euro-bumpers-help.html and here https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1712456-euro-bumpers-3.html#post7190225

Anyway, i realize I am very new to these forums but I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone else was interested. I have attached pictures that ptt rooney emailed me. Let me know, and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
$1200 for a set of bumpers (min. 3 sets) including shipping is an excellent price. Figure another $200 for paint (if you paint it yourself).
I bought a set of used MB bumpers in excellent condition on Craigslist and by the time I had them cleaned up, painted and some of the hardware replaced I was in it for $1300 not counting my time.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I might be interested. Have you set a deadline when you need to know buy?

Any idea on how long between order and shipment?

Cool you're putting this together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might be interested. Have you set a deadline when you need to know buy?

Any idea on how long between order and shipment?

Cool you're putting this together.
I haven't set a deadline yet but I'm sure we'll have to. Maybe end of this week, so 7/27 or so. But that's not a hard timeline if someone needs a few extra days.

The manufacturer says it will take 3 weeks to make the bumpers and then 5-7 days of shipping. So I'd guess 4 weeks after purchase.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Some comments,

Vietnam bumber rubber parts and fixings into car body are only modest quality. Please prepare here to buy original rubber parts and modify the fixing parts as needed.

SS visible bumber surfaces are perfect quality.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Some comments,

Vietnam bumber rubber parts and fixings into car body are only modest quality. Please prepare here to buy original rubber parts and modify the fixing parts as needed.

SS visible bumber surfaces are perfect quality.
YKA, can you possibly expand on this? What, precisely, needs to be modified? Is it the hardware, the brackets?

Or have you written a thread on this somewhere?

Your experience would be much appreciated here.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The rubber parts (at least what I have received from PTT) around the polished SS bumbers were fitting only modest at their place. I have replaced all PTT rubbers by original MB spares. There were serious difficulties get the bumber ends fit at their place and I did not succeed assemble PTT rubbers nicely without gaps against the polished sections. Front bumber center rubber section behind the register plate was also too difficult for me.

I have to modify the rear bumber side fixings (cut + welding) and both front bumber front fixings has to be flatten and bended into proper shape. Lucily my friend has EU SLC and I could copy/measure the correct front fixing shape and front bumber assembly positions (gap, depth and height) from his EU car.

560SL had cargoal canister driver side front bumber assembly area - it needs/causes extra bending but this job was pretty easy.

I have written my PTT Vietnam bumber assembly adventure comments into "Euro bumbers ??" thread.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Despite the large fine tunings I am satisfied PTT SS euro bumber appearance.

Negative side is that these are not original manufacturing (quality, dimensions, tolerances).

Positive side is that all components are new - used bumbers may have hidden suprices.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Have to pass as well as after some thought my current R107 is so unmolested that I'm going to keep it that way for now. US diving boards and all.

But many thanks for presenting the opportunity for the group buy. The kind of thing that makes this such a wonderful forum.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Great, now there are THREE of us. Let's get this done before my attention span fades. What is next step, do you want to email Rooney and tell him we'll take three sets? Let me know how best to proceed and we can GO! Thanks again for organizing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
23 Participants
carltwo
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing